Chin Spin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They both make about the same amount of noise, which isn't much. In my opinion, the bearings in the chin spin go out much more often than the flying saucer.

I find the flying saucers make more noise and brace the arm of it with some wood. I've never replaced any of the bearings in any of my wheels. All work great!

I should also add that I am referring to a flying saucer with a brace on it. I put a block of wood under every one I use.

I have multiples of both styles and I find that they both make about the same minimal amount of noise and that chins seem equally willing to use either one, the thing I consider (and the reason I am slowly changing out to all saucers) is that a wheel puts unnatural pressure and curvature on the chin's spine. Of course this isn't verifiably something that leads to problems, but just imagine you were on the treadmill bent slightly backwards all the time ;)

Hmm, you all have me reconsidering the Chin Spin for the Saucer. I'm off to do more reading of old threads.

Have read enough to help me decide against the Chin Spin. I am going to go with the 14 inch Ed Wheel.

Do some research about the different options before purchasing a chin spin. There are plenty of threads about wheels/flying saucers in the archives. Here's a recent one.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20137

Linda

I read the thread about the Powder Coating issue, and how QC handled that issue. (or didn't handle it)

I decided to go with this one.
http://www.chinworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CW030012&Category_Code=CW03

I have multiples of both styles and I find that they both make about the same minimal amount of noise and that chins seem equally willing to use either one, the thing I consider (and the reason I am slowly changing out to all saucers) is that a wheel puts unnatural pressure and curvature on the chin's spine. Of course this isn't verifiably something that leads to problems, but just imagine you were on the treadmill bent slightly backwards all the time ;)

what wheel were you using? the chin spin isnt supposed to put pressure on the spine because it is larger than most wheels. if you check out a video of a chin on a chin spin then you can see there is no curve of the spine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCNutOYP7u4

Have read enough to help me decide against the Chin Spin. I am going to go with the 14 inch Ed Wheel.

the chin spin is 15 inch so that is less pressure on the spine than the Ed Wheel, if spine pressure is what your worried about. Also you can order it without the powder coating.

I've had no issues with the powder coating on all my chin spins. I know others have but I have newer chin spins and older ones and all are fine.

Either way you go they are all good wheels (saucer, chin spin, ed wheel).

Latest posts

Back