Chin Spin vs. Flying Saucer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_soda025

So I'm trying to decide between which to get.. and well, I can't decide! Both would fit fine in my cage. I'm wondering what some of the pros and cons for both of these wheels are. I know they're both very good wheels, but I'm just interested in some details, like which one is quieter or how long they can go for before having to change the bearings and such. So if any of you who have either one or both of these wheels could share your experiences, that would be great.

No cons on the chin spin! In my boys' cage it's super silent. I don't have a flying saucer so I can't help you there.

I have 2 flying saucers and am getting a 3rd. I and the chins love them! I've only had to replace the one bearing, I got the saucer used and have had it for 2 years, so I'm sure it was 3+ years old, the bearing was only a couple dollars and was easy to change.

They're quiet, the only time it makes noise is when the chin is going full speed, and then it's more the cage bars moving. I think you could make that less if you put a block of wood underneath the bottom support bar. But it isn't too noisy.

All 5 of my girls have been able to figure out the saucer, but I have heard of some chins not being able to understand them. But I haven't had that issue!

Both are great wheels, it's just how much money you want to spend.

I first bought a flying saucer and my chins loved it. Then i got another chin and bought her a chin spin. Well since she was so small only 9 weeks she couldnt get it moving hardly because it was brand new and still a little stiff. So i gave the boy the chin spin and her the saucer and they both love them just as much. I think the saucer takes up less space. They can climb under it and you can put a shelf above it. The chin spin is just huge. They are both awesome wheels though.

i started off giving my boy a flying saucer and he NEVER figured it out. it was in there for about 5 or 6 months and he never used it. We finally got him a regular wheel (not a chin spin...but chin safe) and transferred the flying saucer down to our girl. she got it within that night...the flying saucer is a little louder to me but it does take up less space. on the other hand the chin spin was kind of a no-brainer so you know you'll get use out of it while for the first few months the flying saucer was kind of useless because he couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for the replies. :) I think I will go with the flying saucer, since I will probably have to pay for almost as much as for the flying saucer if I got the chin spin because of expensive shipping and customs taxes..

Ok, I got my flying saucer last Friday, but the chins won't even use it. I know in the beginning, they tried jumping onto it and stuff, but they seemed scared when it started moving so fast when they were sniffing around on it. Now, I think they are just plain scared of it and won't even hop onto it anymore. Maybe it has to do with the layout of the ledges in the cage? There is one ledge that's kind of close to the flying saucer and at about mid-height. What would be a good sort of "location" to put the flying saucer in? I'm just thinking that's the main reason they are not going on it.

My saucer is on the bottom of the cage in a corner. My chin figured it out right away and uses it every day, for a year now so far. She uses it to hide under as well on ocassion. I've heard of chins that won't touch their saucer for weeks and then one day they figure it out. I think once one of your chins figures it out, the others will also get the idea and they'll all be fighting to use it. Just give it some time.

Back