Chin sitting goes wrong

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemarie

I'm sorry this is kinda a rant..

So did anyone ask someone to chin sit and they totally ignore rules and directions? Or anything else that went wrong ?

I am away with my boyfriend for the weekend. I asked my dad to chin sit. My boy Benny and my girl chico. I gave him Simple directions.
- feed them and give them water
- put the tv on at 6pm for Benny.
- he doesnt have to let them out if he lets them out don't let them out together. I do not want kits
I figured one day without play time is okay. So right now I asked how my kids were doing and he's telling me he has them out together!!! ehh simple directions! Now I have to keep an eye on Chico for the next 110 days ehh more work then I need!

Oh that's awful!!

We have a friend who hands Chia random things through the bars. Like plastic and a piece of tape once... My bf got really mad the first time, because getting anything away from Chia is like taking candy away from a small child - in her mind she was given this amazing toy, only to have us rip it away from her.
Some people...

My family just had someone watch our Chins for a week. They took good care of them besides giving them to many treats. I warned them about letting my chins out and asked them not to do it.

It may have just been alot to remember though. My family has 5 chins, three dog's, five cats and two hamsters. They took care of everyone for us.

This is one of the many reasons I never get to vacation, LOL! My chins are just like any other part of my family...a lot of rules, a lot of things that can go wrong with their care in the hands of others. Sorry to hear your story, it happens though. Anyone other than yourself and you can expect SOMETHING to happen that you're not 100% thrilled with. Granted, this is one of the worse situations...but is not the WORST situation.

I always tell people that if they go on vacation or are called out of town, just have the person watching the chins just leave them in the cage. It isn't going to hurt the chins to stay in the cages for a few days or a few weeks.

Once I had a customer, who HAD to tell the pet sitter to let her chins out to play EVERY single day. One of the chins ending up drowning in a toilet. That was the point that I started telling people that if they aren't there and they have someone else watching their babies, just leave them in the cage and don't worry about letting them out. Bad things seem to happen when people go away and let others take out their chinnies.

Oh man, this thread is making me nervous now! We will be out of town for almost a week and I will have a new chin-sitter. We've only ever had one other sitter, and he was our roommate. He knew all the rules about treats and when and how much to feed the boys, mostly because he was there everyday. Now we moved across the state and this is the first time with a new sitter. I'm super nervous to leave them that long, especially with a new sitter, and it's supposed to be really hot. I plan on leaving a very detailed check list of everything that needs to be done each day. :err:

Some advice for people seeking pet sitting;

• Don't ask the petsitter to do anything other than give food/water on small pets.
  • If the pet requires cage cleaning have them there when you do it. For chins, put them in a carrier instead of letting them out.
  • Definitely don't let them out. Catching chins is an art that most people don't have and never assume your chin is going to let someone else catch them.
  • Leave enough food/water in the cage to last a week in case something happens.
  • Make sure you leave the petsitter double the food you think the animal will go through.

Can't tell you how many times people have not left enough food when I petsit and it is really bad when it is prescription stuff because I can't get it.

I'm sorry this is kinda a rant..
So did anyone ask someone to chin sit and they totally ignore rules and directions? Or anything else that went wrong ?
I understand you being upset about them being together (it does only take once) but I am going to suspect he's doing it for free. If someone watches your pets for free never get mad/complain about the service. :))

I know, it's kind of a grumpy post but petsitting is one of my pet peeves. Paid petsitting is a service, definitely expect the best. Free petsitting is a courtesy and often a hassle, though the person doesn't want to say anything.

Last edited:
It makes me nervous to leave Bella with a sitter, but if I have to leave for more than 1 night I always make sure it is someone that Bella knows who has been around for playtime before. That way I know they have seen how I take care of her so they know what they have to do, but I still leave a checklist of course. If I have to leave her with a friend she doesn't know I make sure she is set so they don't even have to open the cage, just check to make sure she is ok and give her water. But it is still always a risk, all you can do is try to pick the best person you can and pray. I hope it turns out ok for you.

We just got back from vacation on Sunday. We were gone 9 very long days. I missed my girls terribly but my mom took excellent care of them. I left detailed instructions on what to do. Measured out everything they were allowed to have and left it all in one place. I showed her how I clean their cage every night. They were not allowed out for playtime!

I'm glad I have a petsitter who can follow instructions. I worked with her for about 5 yrs though and she probably knows as much about chins as I do just from conversations at work. lol

I also have large single chin cages with J feeders, 16 oz water bottles, and hay racks that are accessible without opening the cage. Basically they are good for at least a week but, I still like to have someone check on them each day.

I understand you being upset about them being together (it does only take once) but I am going to suspect he's doing it for free. If someone watches your pets for free never get mad/complain about the service. :))
ng.

Lol, my inlaws had to syringe feed Chilli once for us. We came home and there was cc all over the walls and ceiling. Figure it must have gotten stuck or something. We had a laugh and cleaned it up and thanked them for going above and beyond....

Op, sorry this happened, people don't realize mating is so fast, compared to other mammals.

Latest posts

Back