chin needs to gain weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

I adopted Murphy about 3 weeks ago. His last weigh in at the rescue (in October) was 496 grams. When I weighed him last night, he was at 500. I am not comfortable with how thin he feels, which is downright bony. I know some chins tend to run on the smaller side, but I'd like to see if he can put on some weight.

Is there are sort of feed/supplement/diet enhancer that I can feed Murphy short term to help him put on some weight? I'm still transitioning him off the Nutrena he was fed at Chins To Go to my 50/50 mix of Mazuri and PANR. He appears to be eating and drinking just fine.

He was checked out by the vet in February, before I got him, and there were no major issues.

I took in a chin that was way down there, around 450 grams. All I did was give him lots of fresh hay, good quality pellet, and water. I added Life Line to his diet, but that's about it. Over time he has gained and now hovers around 500 grams. I do not believe that he is going to get much bigger than that, but he is happy and healthy.

I got my chinchilla and he was a meak 400 grams. With nothing but high quality pellets, hay, and fresh water, he now is around 600 grams. I plan to switch his food from Mazuri to Oxbow so I am expecting and hoping for a weight gain.

My chins didn't do well on Mazuri, maybe you should try him on just the PANR? I have had great luck getting chins to gain weight on it, and they seem to like it better than Mazuri. And it is cheaper! Just a thought. I would give him some time, it takes awhile to gain healthy weight.

When I took in Bonnie, she was over a year and only weighed 329 grams in December. I talked extensively with Peggy (tunes) and Hedgemom on the best course of action for her.

They drilled this simple rule in my head: KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid. :D

High quality pellets, hay, and water. Acidophilus. Gas drops if necessary, and some chewable children's vitamin C.

I kept asking, "What about critical care, lifeline, Ryerson's supplement..."

They both stressed that natural weight gain is much better than quickly packing on weight with supplements. Bonnie is doing fantastic, and weighs a bit under 500 grams.

So, I will give you the best recommendation I received: KISS :D

I think I'm going to try a few different foods and see if he likes them more. I'll switch gradually, but I'd like to see if he's capable of gaining weight.

I think I'm going to try a few different foods and see if he likes them more. I'll switch gradually, but I'd like to see if he's capable of gaining weight.

Though you already said you'd take your time, I just need to beat a dead horse for a second...

when switching foods, allow for well enough time before switching to another one. Other wise it can do more harm that good.

Also, I'd track his weight daily with any food changes and be sure to monitor his poop to make sure that his stomach is handling the transition well

Though you already said you'd take your time, I just need to beat a dead horse for a second...

when switching foods, allow for well enough time before switching to another one. Other wise it can do more harm that good.

Also, I'd track his weight daily with any food changes and be sure to monitor his poop to make sure that his stomach is handling the transition well

Thanks. I am well aware of the need to do the change gradually. My other two gobbled up their "new" feed when I first introduced them to it, so I need to see what else the little guy will like, if anything.

Back