Chin names and how they came to be

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so when I got my chinchilla, I had no idea what to name him, I was thinking about naming him Winston but it just didn't fit.
So one night, my boyfriend and I were watching Rob Zombie's Halloween (he's a horror movie freak...I'm not really) and my chinchilla was tuckered out after playtime so he was lying on his house. There is this one scene in the movie where Michael Myers falls off a balcony and lands in grass, and the way he landed and was laying there looked just like how my chinchilla was lying down, so...we named my chin then and there, Michael Myers aka Mikey for short :))

Now that's a wierd story for a name...

Lil' John- He is my dwarf rabbit. Hes all black with gray on the bottom of his feet. So, I got him 4 years ago and couldn't think of what to name him. We were driving him home and my FAVORITE song came on the radio at the time by the rapper "Lil John".....so, I just decided I would name him Lil John. Its kind of odd but I can't imagine him being named anything else! We call him Johnny for short!

Toji- My first chinchilla was a rescue. They told me "she" was really a "he" and his name was Quipper. I called the chin Quipper and it didn't respond and I HATED the name so I changed it to Tojo b/c my grandfather called him that (don't know why). So, then Tojo got sick and I took him to the vet and found out "he" was a "she"! So, we adapted the name to "Toji" for a little more girly effect! She unfortunately died a year ago from old age (14 yrs old) and a seizure.

Sidney Crosby- Angie (chinvet on here) my vet gave me Sidney Crosby after Toji died. I gave my fiance the option, either Fleury or Sidney Crosby, and he picked Sidney. I decided on those names b/c we are absolute HUGE Pittsburgh Penguins fans and Sidney Crosby and Marc Andre Fleury are my 2 fav. players.

Fleury- So, my fiances Mom works at the local hospital. She calls me one day and says "Hey Kim, there is a chinchilla up here that we found on the docks and we have it under a milk crate, what should we feed it i think its hungry". I was like "dont' do anything, I'll be up" and I went and rescued him. He was such a sweetheart I couldn't bear to part with him so I kept him and named him Fleury!

I love my little babies!!!

Moche is the name of an ancient civilization in south america. Since chins come from Peru, it just stuck. Shadow was hard. His name doesn't really fit, but then again he's quick and I never see him. Teddy bear looks like a teddy bear, but the name he came with is Theodore, so it fits. And Syd. My dear little violet is now Syd Viscious. He too came with his name, but it is so fitting since he's a turd and beats up the other chins.

I let my kids name the chins. If my daughter had won the argument, our first guy would have been named "cutie pie lovey"........but the boys won and they called him Dexter,..not sure why they chose that name though except that they really couldn't stand "cutie pie lovey",..LOL

Our second guy came from Kijiji, but the previous owner never bothered to name him, other than occaisionally calling him Mister because he was the male,...the kids named him "Brownie"...because he's brown,...very original huh???

Our latest little guy came from Kijiji also and since he is 3 1/2 and DID have a name already we kept it as "Diesel".

Colby: I really loved the name for a child, but knew my husband wouldn't let me name our child Colby, so I gave the name to my chinnie!

Winston: We were going to adopt a dog named Winston and that fell through. We ended up loving the name though and my husband wanted that name for Winston. I had picked out Shiloh, but Winston fit him perfect when my husband suggested it.

Winx - when we got him and would hold him, he'd "wink" one eye at us... so "winx"

Moki - started as "Mocha" because of her color, but my mom somehow transformed that into Moki

Toby + Bailey - I sent through name websites and those names just "sounded" right for them

Fuzzy - came (and left) with that name

Ember, Cinder, Pokani - Ember and Cinder are med ebonies, and we wanted names that sort of "went together" so Ember and Cinder it was. Pokani means dark starless night in Hawaiian, and 'Kani is an extra dark ebony, so it fit her...

We're not to good with names in our family. I have 2 newborn kits and I think I will call them Victor and Jack after the Young and the Restless

My first chin name was Flanelle, she was so soft and cute that the name juste came to me like this...

Sissy, Fanny and Génie... They came with there name and don't want to change

Now my rescue. When we pick the up ,they were no name and to me they have to have a name... At the time dont't know I will fall in love with them and bring them home loll
So that night I dream and the name came up ... Laly, Maly and Biscui .. It's good they are cute name and they fit with my girl name..

I will have Douce . She also have her name and for her that's the best name you can have.. She's a pearl..

Scooter- as when I got her I could not catch her
Squirt- the runt of the bunch and he still is
Loosie- the first night home she sprung herself from her cage and had full run of the house until we found her the next day
Kaeti- loved the weird way it was spelled
Sookie- after Sookie Stackhouse of the True Blood series
Treena- was a name I liked and named my lizard until I found out she was a he so my chin got the name.

Flea: He is tiny and he hops around a lot.
Goat: calico cat has a black spot on her chin like a goatee.
Moose: is big
Dude: looked like a little brown pile of doodoo when he curled up.

we have a candy theme going on... our first pet was a dwarf hamster & we'd just bought a big bag of starburst the night before, so it stuck. we thought it was cute without being too girly. then the gerbils came along - pixy stix & twix (pix'n'twix for short, they're always together). then our robo hamster is cotton candy, or CC for short. then our white chin, who looks like a big marshmallow, hence mallo-cup (i call her "mally-moo-moo" much to my husband's dismay). razzles & zero were picked because we'd never heard of either candy - zero the hero is our male, razzie-ma-tazzie is our girl. the 3 little girls we get in 2 weeks are... abbazabba (hubby picked this one & loves saying it) is the puffball of the trio, zagnut (again hubby picked this, wants to call her zig-zag because she's all over the place in photos) & skybar is our ebony, i want to call her sky for short. needless to say, i'm always craving candy now!

@BamBam We are thinking of getting another chinchilla and when brainstorming names Domo quickly rose to the top! Such a cute name for a chin :)

@ Essentia All of our animals are named after video game characters! Guess we are not as original as we thought :)

We have two dogs, Princess Zelda and Kirby Superstar, and our chinchilla is named Iggy. His original name was Armani and I still call him that from time to time. Most of my animals have three or four names I call them.

Our guinea pigs do not have video game names because our first guinea pig constantly smells like Bacon -- I have no idea why but we have had him over a year and he still smells like Bacon. Totally healthy, just smells like Bacon. So we had to name him Bacon. His companion is named Toast because it went so well with Bacon.

Last edited:
Back