Chin house painted

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2chins1planet

2Chins1Planet
Hi, im currently in the middle of constructing a house for my chins from KD pine so its safe for them. its somewhat large and has everything they could want to lay and play in. i was wondering since ive seen a few chin houses with designs on it, if some sort of graphic art/coloring other than food dye can be applied that wont harm the chinchilla? if not im fine with leaving it raw and natural looking. :thanks4:

Other than foodcoloring you can use unsweetened koolaid.
Just mix the powder with water and you can give a color stain to the wood.
I did this once with shelves. After putting the color on, I put the wood in the oven for a few minutes to dry.
The koolaid method doesn't always come out vibrant, but it's nice for a soft color.

Koolaid (with flash on in the first picture)
IMG_3506.jpg

The green hut:
IMG_3525.jpg

Sorry, I don't have better example pictures...this was a while ago!

I've noticed people have houses and such that are stained with what looks like kool-aid or food coloring, but also have a much more vibrant graphic (flower, comet, chinchilla, etc.) that looks like it's actually been painted on. Are they actually painted, and people are just hoping for the best since it's not on an edge and not easily chewed?

You can get food grade "paint" at craft stores in the cake decorating aisles. It is safe for the chins and gives the more vibrant color. Wood burning is also used to get darker outlines.

Wilton food dye is safe for chins.
Mixed with a bit of water (I'm talking a drop here is what I use), you can easily paint it on.

You can get food grade "paint" at craft stores in the cake decorating aisles. It is safe for the chins and gives the more vibrant color. Wood burning is also used to get darker outlines.

I've only ever noticed the gel food coloring before. I'm assuming you mean this stuff? If yes, it would certainly explain the white.

alright thanks everyone for the replies and information, never thought about the more thick cake paint type deal ill have to look into that at a local store.

I do my wood burning then 'paint' with lightly to greater watered down wiltons food coloring gel... The burning helps prevent the colors bleeding through parts of the wood you don't want it on.

I've used non-toxic ink to stamp things before, if it's in the middle you can worry even less because the chins would have to chew a lot to get there, if it's on the edges, I'd go with a food grade dye.

Warning, dying wood can turn white bellies or chins other colors! :D

Latest posts

Back