Chin having rapid breathing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leyyya

My boyfriends female chinchilla has been breathing too fast. His chin and mine were together for a while because we were hoping they mate and kept each other company. But since we didn't notice any change we assumed she wasn't pregnant, except now that our chins are separated he tells me he notices movement in her stomach. And my question is, is rapid breathing a normal thing for a possibly pregnant chin?. Or could there be something else wrong?. Please help

If you placed a female with a male chinchilla, there is a HIGH posibility she is pregnant. It only takes them a second to get pregnant. You can't do much other than wait the 111 days to see if she is pregnant. That's about how long it'll take for the babies to come out. She might not even be breathing heavy, she may has kits in her moving around making it seem that way. I would keep an eye on here and make sure the two chins are separated because if she has babies, she can get pregnant right after she gives birth. Plus, the father of the kits could hurt/kill them.

Advice for the future, you shouldn't breed unless you know what's you're doing. Chins can do perfectly fine on their own without a cage mate.

Thank you Amanda your comment is really helpful.
And it wasn't that we didn't know what we were doing, we always kept a close eye on the both of them, and besides wanting them to have each other as company the purpose was to breed them. Except we never saw any significant change or when either one of us was at work and they mated we weren't aware. we never saw the plug she was supposed to expel if she did indeed mate. So all the while we thought they just never did. So that's why now that they're separated my boyfriend noticed the change in her. but once again, thank you very much. you've been a great help.

What is the rapid breathing like? Is she still doing it? Does it look like she is breathing deep down in her belly? Does this happen after she has run around the cage or after playtime?

I'd be more concerned that this is an issue that has more to do with a respiratory or possibly digestive problem or it could be a heart murmur. Prolonged rapid breathing is not normal for any chin. Their rates of respiration may increase while they are out running around or when they have jumped around the cage or even when they are scared, but if the chin is at rest the breathing should regulate to a very steady rate over a short time.

Chins that have rapid breathing could be in pain, they could be having problems getting enough oxygen, or maybe even have a respiratory infection. If this chin is acting sick or has labored breathing, you need to take it to the vet.

Do you feel babies? How is she acting? Is she on her side quite a bit? I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean by rapid breathing...that's why I ask these questions.

I've been breeding chins for years now and I have only found mating plugs a handful of times...it only takes a few seconds for chins to breed.

When were the chinchillas placed together, and when were they separated? Do you have a weight scale to keep up with their weights, and if so, has she lost or gained any weight?

Latest posts

Back