Chin has bump/bubble on tummy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRose

Was handling one of my chins yesterday night and felt something like a squishy lump on her stomach. Blowing the hair around so I could get a better look shows me something the size of maybe a nickel, slightly raised, maybe just under the skin. It's just below the ribs. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow anyhow but I wondered if anyone had any guesses or ideas what it might be. She does not show signs of pain or uneasiness when I touch it. And none of my other chins have anything like that. She's eating and pooping. I had rats before that developed tumors and I'm worried it something like that. Bloat wouldn't present itself like that would it. Any advise would be profoundly welcomed. Thanks!

p.s. this chin is female and isn't a year old until april 7. She lives with her mom and brother but I had the male fixed with Dr Greek at 10weeks and he was seperated from them at 8 while waiting for surgery . No signs of scratches, biting, or anything like that on any of them. I would swear it almost looks like a pimple without the redness...

It's most probably her belly button - some chins have 'outies' (just extra skin left when the cord is nibbled through or - rarely - an umbilical hernia) - unless it is causing a problem (getting bigger when the chin strains, for example) then it's nothing to worry about. ;)

Last edited:
I would think maybe a belly button, or if it's large enough a hernia, simply put an opening in the skin where the intestines would be poking out. I've had chins with outties, but never one the size of a nickel, I'm not saying can't happen, but that with the fact it's squishy would make think possibly a small hernia.

Like Claire said usually they aren't a cause for concern, if it would get larger and protruding then you would need a surgery to correct it to prevent the intestine from being pinched.

Is it right in the middle or off to the side? I just want to verify because chinchillas do have nipples under their arm pits and I believe there are cases of mastitis in non-lactating chins, but I can't back that up. Usually with that you'd have discoloration, heat, and it would not be squishy really. So you're probably safe there. If you can get a photo it would be interesting to see.

I'm thinking it might be a hernia. It's smooth, I didn't notice any extra skin or anything to indicate it's the umbilical cord (the outtie). It is kinda in that area though, definitely not a nipple. Goblin was born April 7 last year and I got a good look at what nipples were like before and after with her mom. It's also not discolored, or hot or hard. She seems fine with it but I guess it justs worries me because if its intestines hanging out that doesn't seem right. I will monitor to make sure the size doesn't get bigger but Riven mentioned if it protrudes...it is a shallow bump now, How much protruding do I worry about? I haven't taken her yet to the vet, we were going to go this afternoon. Should I just wait and moniter or take her anyways?

If you're concerned then I would take her to the vets so that you can discuss it all with them to put your mind at rest. :thumbsup:

Back