Chin chew the neosporin open

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn

It must have fall into his cage. I don't know exactly how long he has it. But when we found it hes already chew it open that we can squeeze the paste through it. He seems to be fine right now. What do I do? Is there anything I can do to "clean" it out of his system? He is almost 2 years old.

How long has it been since he chewed into it?

Usually after maybe 10 or 12 hours you can be certain that a chin is going to be alright after it may have ingested something. Definitely watch him closely...but it probably wouldn't hurt him too much unless he really ate a whole lot of it. It's something that people put into open wounds so it can't be all that toxic.

How long has it been since he chewed into it?

Usually after maybe 10 or 12 hours you can be certain that a chin is going to be alright after it may have ingested something. Definitely watch him closely...but it probably wouldn't hurt him too much unless he really ate a whole lot of it. It's something that people put into open wounds so it can't be all that toxic.

I don't know how long he has it. I know that when i came home I played with him and he didn't have it in his cage. Probably max of 2 hours that he has it. But right before we found it he was still on his usual spot begging cranberries from us and has been actively jump up and down since. God i hope hes ok. I'm very worried. Is there anything I can do?

like Susan said, just monitor him closely.

cranberries are not a safe treat for chins though. way too much natural sugar in them. better to give dried rosehips, part of a plain shredded wheat, or even an apple twig as a treat.

I I'm very worried. Is there anything I can do?
I really expect he will be alright. I guess you could try calling the Poison Control Center. I wouldn't tell them it was a chinchilla though....they prob only help people. Now I'm not saying to give him Pepto Bismal or whatever they might say. Do not self medicate him! I'm just saying you could find out how toxic it is. Watch him closely and keep us up updated

Neosporin is only a topical antibiotic because it is nephrotoxic. Monitor him, especially his urination, looking for blood or especially dark urine as it could signal kidney problems.

Ingestion In the event of swallowing this material, seek medical assistance if
symptoms develop. Do not induce vomiting unless directed by medical
personnel. Give water to dilute unless instructed to do otherwise.

What?? They gave 750 mg to a mouse??

SECTION 11 - TOXICOLOGY INFORMATION
Compound Type Route Species Dosage
Polymyxin B sulfate LD50Oral Mouse 750 mg/kg
Eye Not determined for this product.
Skin Not expected to cause skin irritation.
Inhalation Not determined for this product.
Ingestion Not determined for this product.

[QUOTE
What?? They gave 750 mg to a mouse??
[/QUOTE]

you don't want to know what they do. (but if you do, search "Draize test"--you'll be an animal rights activist before you know it. thankfully, that one isn't used much anymore; cosmetic testing has gone the way of eugenics, for the most part.)

Evelyn, how's the little guy doing? Let us know what the vet says.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not take him to the vet because he is doing just fine. Amazed me. We set alarm every hour to see how he's doing and he was just normal like nothing happened. He did give us a look like "why are y'all watching me" though. Now it has been 30 hours since it happened I clean his cage today to see if there's anything wrong with his urine or poo and it seems to be just like what I see every time I clean his house.

I don't know how could he manage to chew the thing open and not swallow it in. But at this point I'm just glad he's survive and will never let it happen again. Thanks everyone for all advice. My husband googled chinchilla and neosporin and nothing came up so I post it on this site and the help was there within 10 mins of me posting. We appreciate it.

Back