Chin bit other chins tail and its bleeding...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be helpful for us to see the injury. If it is not that severe the best thing you can do is get some bluekote on the injury. Blukote is usually available at a tractor supply store or feed stores you may have in your area. Blukote is great to have on hand for chinchilla injuries. If you don't have blukote you can also offer a dust bath.

I'm not sure how often you are attempting them to be together, but you may want to back off for a bit and give them a break and then try again.

And remember not all chins are able to have a cagemate. Trying to intro chins to each other can be a very arduous and long process. Patience is always key

Its not the best picture, because he doesn't want me touching it really, understandably.

2w5u03q.jpg

Its not bad, just a little bite. But I still feel awful! :( I should have never put them back in the box. I'm done trying to cage them together. The original plan was to remove the floor of my FN142 and just have one big open cage, but I cant chance anyone being hurt.

And I was thinking about a dust bath, but I didn't want it to get infected?

I dont have any Blukote :( Could I use Neosporin? Or should I offer a dust bath?

Beebo was a bit shaken up but I gave him a cheerio, some hay, and a cuddle buddy and now he seems to be getting back to normal! :D

no neosporin--they will lick it and should not. If you don't have blukote offer a bath. It is a minor wound.

If you have betadine on hand you may use that as well for the wound. As others said it is a very minor wound he should be just fine :)

The main ingredient in Blu-Kote is genetian violet. You can get it at any pharmacy. Usually they keep it behind the counter in the pharmacy area, but it doesn't require a prescription to purchase. It's less than $3.00 a bottle.

I should have never put them back in the box.

You say "box". What did you use to "smoosh" them? How big was it? The big thing about the smoosh method is it HAS to be a small enough space where both chins can barely move, so they are "smooshed" up against each other and there is no room for scuffling. Otherwise, you risk injuries such as this one. It also helps to bit a little vanilla extract or vicks vapor rub (just the teeniest, tiniest bit) above their noses to hide any scent from the other chin. I've successfully smooshed twice in the past and never had any chins get injured.

Last edited:
You say "box". What did you use to "smoosh" them? How big was it? The big thing about the smoosh method is it HAS to be a small enough space where both chins can barely move, so they are "smooshed" up against each other and there is no room for scuffling. Otherwise, you risk injuries such as this one. It also helps to bit a little vanilla extract or vicks vapor rub (just the teeniest, tiniest bit) above their noses to hide any scent from the other chin. I've successfully smooshed twice in the past and never had any chins get injured.

It was half the size of a shoe box, maybe even smaller. They couldn't move, but somehow Bentley managed to twist his head around and bite Beebo on the tail. They both had their whiskers trimmed down to almost nothing and both had vanilla on noses and butts. I got Bentley hoping to have him as a cagemate for Beebo when I'm not home, but I guess its not meant to be. I wanted to have the whole Ferret Nation just one big open cage, but I'm not risking anyone getting hurt again.

Out of interest, may I ask, how long have you had Bentley & how long have you been trying to introduce them?

Out of interest, may I ask, how long have you had Bentley & how long have you been trying to introduce them?

Roughly a month. I would let them take dust baths together, run around in a play area, and they were always fine, aside from minor chasing and mounting. But when I would try to put them in the cage together, it turned from harmless bickering, to violent fighting. A few people have told me to give it a rest and try again later, but I'm done. I'll just keep my FN divided so its not chancing anyone to be hurt.

It may have been too fast & too soon but I think your decision to keep them separate is a good one. :)

Latest posts

Back