Chin age Probiotic capsule!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chintastic!

I was giving one of my girls because she has loose poos and I must have missed the trash can with a piece of the capsule after I poured the powder out. The room is closed off from everything else so they can run on the floor and in the "boxes" I have set up for them when I looked down and saw Vick chewing on a piece of the capsule! Under the ingredents there is only the probiotics listed. Could there be anything in the capsule that might hurt him? I dont know how much he actually ate but there was a nice sized chip out of the side of it.

He is currently acting fine and popcorning like crazy since I put him back in his home. I feel like such an idiot. I was 2 feet away from him when he did it and I didnt notice, AHHH.

I'm pretty sure those capsules are only made of cellulose and/or gelatin and I can't imagine that being harmful in such a tiny amount. I'll wait for someone else to chime in though :hmm:

I'm pretty sure those capsules are only made of cellulose and/or gelatin and I can't imagine that being harmful in such a tiny amount. I'll wait for someone else to chime in though :hmm:

Thats what I was praying for but after hearing of all the horror stories of chins eating things I had to ask to be sure. I tried to do a search to see if anyone else had had the same thing happen but didnt see it. Still feel like an stupid idiot....:banghead:

Agreed with above, the capsules are meant to be ingested ( not by chins possibly, but you know what I mean ). I wouldn't recommend it as a treat, but I'm sure she'll probably be okay. Just keep an eye on her. :D

It's probably just gelatin, don't worry about it. My chins get a hold of them all the time when I give out probiotic. It can't hurt anyone...the chins seem to like them because they believe they are doing something bad by eating them since I try to throw them away. In my brain it tells me that the chins shouldn't have them and they need to be thrown away...I think the chins pick up on this, plus they're crunchy.

It's probably just gelatin, don't worry about it. My chins get a hold of them all the time when I give out probiotic. It can't hurt anyone...the chins seem to like them because they believe they are doing something bad by eating them since I try to throw them away. In my brain it tells me that the chins shouldn't have them and they need to be thrown away...I think the chins pick up on this, plus they're crunchy.

Thank you so much, I have never had this happen before. I didnt think anything bad would happen, but then I got to thinking and the first thing I though of was Dawns story about the rabbit cookies where everyone of her chins got sick! I chewed a piece of one just to see if it tasted like sugar or something but it really didnt have a flavor.

This is why I love this forum!

Back