Chili the dancing chinchilla!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He almost looks like he's trying to popcorn but doesn't know how!! hehe. It could be a stereotypy (repetitive stress movement); seems unlikely to be a neurological issue. The fact that he can stop mid-"dance" to scratch his face is a good sign. If it's a stereotypy, he may grow out of it or not, but at least it's not a harmful one.

He's cute.

This is really strange. I just took in a pink white rescue that was dropped of at a pet store. She was doing the same thing....... Constantly.
I have her in an isolation/quarantine room in a smaller cage untill she will go to her new home.

I thought maybe that she couldn't distinguish the white bars of the cage from the white ceiling in the room so I put a fn cage tray on top of the cage to provide contrast and she quit at once. Now I don't know if it was because my theory is correct or she just felt more secure with a "solid" cage top. But the change was instantly. Really odd to see someone else with a dancer.

they are both very cute. my first thought was that maybe he had something on top of his cage at the previous owners, either a box or blanket and he is just so excited to be able to see up there.
but if it is stress, hopefully with the stability and consistancy that you can offer him it will stop. ;)

I have no idea if anything was above his cage before, but the only thing above his cage now is the ceiling. Other that this stress behavior he doesn't act at all stressed. He willingly sits there for a good 5 min and will just let me scratch for as long as I'd like. He eats super well, runs on the wheel, and in general just acts like a chinchilla. He hasn't done it since that time that I captured on camera.

He is exhibiting repetitive stress behaviour.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=222493&postcount=8

He may well stop once he gets used to his new cage but it is something to be closely monitored & if it does not stop the behaviour needs to be addressed (cage modifications can help).
Was there anything on top of his old cage?
What is above the cage now?

I have put wood on the top of all my FNs. My guys seem to feel more secure with a "ceiling" on their cages. It also gives me room to store stuff on top of the cages. I'd try covering the roof of the cage and see if that makes him feel safer and if the behavior stops. It doesn't have to be wood, could be cardboard.

I normally have something on the top (usually an extra liner) but it's been so astronomically hot here the past week that I took all that off for better air flow. It's been 72-73 in the chin room, which for me is waaaaay too warm for my liking. I usually have it 68ish. It's already starting to get back to the normal 95 outside that my ac can keep up with, so I will be putting something back on top of the cage.

Back