Chile's new establishment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilethechin23

she kept escaping through the bars of the old cage so we had to get a new one... our first experience with her escaping was in the middle of the night and i woke up to a chin running back and forth across my chest lol. she then proceeded to escape two more times the next day. she became the houdini of chins haha... anyway her new cage is much larger and nicer so shes happy =P

newchinhome.jpg

The wheel and hamock should be replaced since they are not chin safe along with the ramp, the cage itself could use some more shelves and a hidey house but its a good size and with some work will be fine.

the more shelves you can add, the better, since they love to jump from one to the other. They really don't need the ramp, and it could catch a toe, so better to rid of it. I also agree that the wheel and hammock need to be replaced with chin safe ones. But you have plenty of time to spruce it up for her and I'm sure she loves it already. And you'll have peace of mind knowing that your escape artist is truly caged for the night!

jen and tickle are correct ramps are not safe, idk about hammocks but i know people on here make chinnie safe haammocks, with the wheel you should probably look for one from some chin special sites. I got my wheel from quality cages and my chin adores it.

yah ive been looking into chin wheels but the good ones seem to be rather pricey so i gotta save up a little...the hammock is a fleece hammock and it said it was safe for chins and she seems to dig it...she loves to sleep in it at night...yah it came with 2 ramps but we only use the one because we just havent gotten enough ledges and such yet... its not a wire mesh ramp or anything its a solid piece so her feet are ok with it... our old cage had ramps that were like wire and her feet could slip through so i made sure with the new one that that would not happen...

that hammock is designed for ferrets, not chins. it is not safe for chins, even if the package shows a picture of a chin on it. it is made out of nylon fabric and a fluffy 'fleece' sleeping surface. it is not made out of polar fleece at all.

pet stores are not a good place to buy products or decipher if something is safe for chins, even if it is marketed for chins. come here and ask questions about products before purchasing them from a store.

i made the same mistake with the exact same hammock you have. i bought it for a chin i was babysitting (she had nothing cozy in her cage at all). the helpful members here on our forum told me it wasn't safe.

I must agree with the hammy being unsafe should she chew it the threads will unravel and can quite esily be tangled around a paw etc. .... I had my hamster pull a bit of cotton blanket from outside his cage IN, chew it and get caught, it cut off the circulation to his leg for likely 12 hour before I figured out what happened (luckily he didn't try to gnaw through his foot) I cut him loose an rushed to the vet for some antibiotics and metacam, his foot was SO swollen. I'm lucky it didn't turn out worse and he got through it. But Mann that taught me a good lesson on having no fabrics in or even around the cages that weren't fleece!

she kept escaping through the bars of the old cage so we had to get a new one... our first experience with her escaping was in the middle of the night and i woke up to a chin running back and forth across my chest lol. she then proceeded to escape two more times the next day. she became the houdini of chins haha... anyway her new cage is much larger and nicer so shes happy =P

While i completely understand and went though it a few time myslef lol, i gotta say...

Houdini.jpg

HE is the Houdini of chins! :p
Hence the reason he was named Houdini ;)
(most everything in that old pic has been removed form cage long ago)

Gotta love it tho'. At least youve was nice enough to excape and run around on your chest. Mine excaped and hid under the fridge before i new he was born.
It is truly amazing how good they are at getting out lol :wacko:

Back