Chemicals in Pvc pipes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

Has anyone heard of a chemical being in Pvc pipes that can absorbed in a chins skin and cause cancer and hormonal problems??? I've been researching to get my boys a pipe for playtime but this comment threw me for a loop needless to say terrified. This was the only negative comment I've seen so far during my research. Anyone heard of such a thing??

Honestly, I would not be overally worried about PVC. They usually do not chew on it-- I've had a PVC tube, uncovered in with the same chins for several years now with no issues.

People with aquariums that house certain types of fish will also keep PVC in their tanks for the fish to hide in. The filtration set up I have in my aquarium is PVC based, and in all honesty with how sensative fish are to water and chemistry changes-- they would be dead long ago if the PVC was leaking anything into the water :).

It's actually the old pvc piping you need to worry about, made before 1977. They can release vinyl chloride monomer (VCM), VCM is a known carcinogen, causing cancerous tumors in the brain, lungs, liver and various tissues in humans. Since then improvements have been made and pvc pipes are used for most people's drinking water, and as Megan mentioned, in fish tanks. There are different types of pvc piping however, only the ones made for drinking water are safe. PVC pipe marked “NSF-61” or “NSF-PW” indicate that they have passed testing for potentially harmful chemicals leaching into the water. That said if the pipe is chewed up into powder or dust (unlikely but possible I guess), and inhaled or swallowed it can be a problem, so just like fleece if they chew it it has to go. A little bit of chewing isn't going to kill them though, unlike other plastic it doesn't break off in pieces when chewed, more like tiny shavings, so pieces that are swallowed will most likely pass. But as I said if they do chew it take it away, or cover it.

Back