Cheating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siylvat

So. I just had an argument about this, and I am wondering what everyone thinks.

If your middle school child cheated on a test. Would you expect the teacher to allow a make up test? Should the test be the same difficulty? Harder? Or should that child just get a zero?

I agree. The child should get a 0. How else will they learn that cheating is not acceptable? If they are given a make up test, that doesn't teach them anything.

I would expect the child to just get a zero. Cheating is unethical and should be treated with zero tolerance.

Gets a 0 for the assignment and some kind of mediation w/ a counselor if the parents aren't involved/think it's not fair that their kid screwed up and gets punished for it. (I've got enough teacher friends that I'm almost done being surprised at the entitlement of hover parents.)

I used to be an aide. I caught a student cheating and I let the teacher know. The teacher let the kid finished. When it was time to go to recess the teacher told the kid to stay in for a few minutes. The teacher told the kid for cheating you will get a zero, if it happens again we will have a conference with parents.

Thanks guys. I don't want to give any details, but I appreciate the responses. That is basically the same thing I think. There are circumstances where other options may be appropriate, but they should get a very clear message that it is wrong and will not be tolerated.

I was a GTA - 0 was my policy. Any cheating or plagarism can result in school disciplinary action on the first offense including expulsion. No sense to instill that you get a second chance because that's not how it works when you get older.

IMO...A middle school child knows the difference about what is right and what is wrong. Choose the behavior you choose the consequences. Do not deny them the opportunity to experience the consequences of their own choices/behavior. The older they get, the higher the cost...it is a "favor".

Last edited:
I don't really think that getting a 0 would help.
They are in middle school... the way that kids get pushed through the system is disgusting. Some that can't read or do the course work go on to graduate anyways. I would say that they need some privileges taken away from them. Getting a 0 isn't much of a punishment in my opinion.

Good point. Wouldn't it be nice if detention addressed the problem/crime. When I was in middle school, then called junior high, detention was just a party. Perhaps someone caught cheating would be required to actually study in detention...

Zero on the exam, a discussion with the student about why s/he received the zero, and (depending on circumstances) inform the parents.

Don't even get me started. Yes, parents do hover and believe their children over the entire group of teachers telling them the same thing about their child. I'm a middle school teacher. This subject is SOOOO fraught with debate. Welcome to NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND. There ARE no consequences. Students with IEPs and/or 504 plans are not ALLOWED to be disciplined to any real degree, so whatever they do, they get away with. Trust me, it doesn't take them long to figure that out - and the kids who don't have these plans figure it out too. The worst behaved kids run the schools.

Cheaters should get a 0, and deal with it. However, again thanks to NCLB we are not supposed to give 0s at all. The lowest grade on something is supposed to be 50%. Even if they simply don't do it. I'd like to do nothing and get 50% of my pay, please.

Oh, and by the way, things like academic integrity are gone over in detail at the beginning of the year, and periodically throughout, so no one can claim they didn't know.

Monika, I totally agree that "no child left behind" has been a disaster for our education system. But even before that, there was a serious problem with the level of expectations placed on kids. Somewhere along the line we decided it was more important that children feel "good" about themselves, than that they be able to cope with the real world. When my foster daughter was in 8th grade, she started turning in a lot of late work. We met with the teachers and told them we wanted her to receive a zero on any work turned in late without a valid excuse (like being sick) and she had to complete the work anyway to make sure she learned the material. In the real world, if she turns in an assignment late to her boss, she won't get 80% of her paycheck, she'll get reprimanded and maybe fired! Why should things be different in school? One of her teachers actually said "Well, she is only 13, and you are expecting an awful lot of her. You don't want her to end up feeling like a failure". I was dumbfounded! Since when is expecting a kid to do their homework an unusual or high expectation? Well, she is now a new high school graduate, with a 3.87 GPA and headed off to George Mason University this fall.

In both elementary and middle school cheating got you standing in front of the class, apologizing for cheating and taking a zero. You did have to make up the test, on your own, after school. Granted, nowadays you'd probably get some sort of emotional abuse slapped on you, but hey, it seemed to work.

I think Abby's solution is great, the child should apologize for cheating, and depending on how the cheating occurred, if the child was caught cheating off of another person without their consent an apology is owed that child as well.

As for someone helping another classmate cheat--zero for them as well.

Latest posts

Back