Chargers Poo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
Hi all. Chargers poop is liquidy the last day or so. No foul smell. We have taken out pellets and given him strictly hay. Also, a little CC with probiotics and Benebac in it and pedialyte in case of dehydration..which he is drinking from water bottle with no problem. My question is, if he responds to this stuff well, does that mean its not a parasite or should I be suspicious and take in a stool sample anyway or are we safe? There are about 5 formed poos as well as soft in his cage now. I believe the cause to be that I gave him too much alfalfa I think and a rose hip which he doesn't usually have. Thoughts?

He could just have some irritation going on in his digestive tract. The probiotic and CC may help a little but you may need to get him something that will be more soothing to his digestive tract. It doesn't necessarily mean that he has a parasite, but he could have an overgrowth of bacteria...or he could have a parasite. It's hard to say without fecal tests.

If he were here, I'd use Albon to treat it to see if it improves over a couple days, it coats the digestive tract and will help form up the droppings a bit. When that doesn't help or it gets worse a vet visit is usually in order. You may want to just take him in this week so you can find out if it is something serious.

If it gets better, it probably isn't a parasite. Usually diarrhea caused by a parasite doesn't just go away, BUT sometimes treatment can help a little and cover up symptoms a bit and make things a little better. After you treat it and it goes away and it doesn't come back after you are done giving probiotics or something else after maybe a week or two, it's probably not parasites.

You'd probably want to get it from the vet. I can buy the albon powder online or at a feed store, but I really like the suspension from the vet a lot more than that. It's easier to get the chins to take the suspension because it is sweet so you know that they are getting the full dosage.

Thanks a lot! I think we might just take his stool to the vet anyway

Just an update: Negative for bacteria and parasites. Will stay on Benebac for one week (Tuesday will be one week). Hopefully this resolves the issue! He is doing better now

Latest posts

Back