Change of attitude at playtime..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonniemorris

Mummy to 3 mad chinnies!
I posted a comment not long ago saying my baby would sit in a corner at playtime, and that I thought it was just to avoid me..

But nothing has changed, I totally leave him alone or sit on my bed during playtime now, and after 10-15 minutes of playing he'll just go and sit in the exact same corner at the side of his cage for the rest of the time, unless i trick him out.

I'm really worried.

he might be telling you he only wants a little bit of play time and wants to go back in his cage?

how old is your chin?

He is still growing, so he is using a lot of calories for that. It sounds like he is just tired.

i agree with this 100%. your chin wont tell you it actually wants to go back in his cage. whenever Gizmo got tired, he'd go under my bed and rest. the corner may just be where he feels the most comfortable. i wouldnt be too concerned.

I agree with all the comments too :D When my chinnies are tired Lola hides behind the sofa and Dotty hides under the table. I think they like being out and resting knowing they havent got to go back in yet, that way when it is time to go in they are recharged and ready to go and then you spend ages trying to put them back in the cage :D

My lil girl is about 5 months and she does this she will run around for a half an hour then run under my bed and sleep. They are still little and need ALOT of rest I wouldn't worry too much :]

Chins under 6 months of age should not be having playtime. they need to use all of their calories to grow, not play.

It's better to limit their playtime, usually once my chins go back to the cage I close it and I'll let them rest before they want to come out again.

I didn't know that! :hmm:

I didn't know this for a while myself. I let my chins out one time in the bathroom, though not for long (they were 3 and 4 mo. old then) and bless their hearts, they looked overwhelmed! Then I read about that on here, and I was like, oh that explains it. :idea:

Since she is close to 6 months and is used to coming out, I would just limit the amount of time you have her out to 15 to 20 minutes.

Back