Ceramic sleeping hut?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

i've been going over some sleep hut options for my little buzzsaw,obviously plastic is out of the question, and she quickly goes through wooden boxes, so i had an idea.she has a glazed ceramic food bowl that works out pretty well, i was wondering if i could find a glazed ceramic hut or pot, with regular woodsticks and blocks to satisfy her need to chew, would this work for her?

have you tried a fleece hidey house?
or a fleece tube?
my girl doesn't sleep in her fleece house or her wood house, but will sleep in her tube.
basically she never leaves it.

As long as it is chin safe I think it should be fine. some of us keep flower pots in the cage and Laurie has a chin that sleeps in a fishbowl.

I have these in a few cages. They are flower pots that are designed to hang on a wall.

IMG_1975-S.jpg

Just make sure the glaze does not contain lead. You can buy lead testing kits at home improvement stores.

That looks nice Menagerie and good idea. Have to keep my eyes open for one of those. The breeder I got one of my chins from had one of those ceramic bust baths as a house.

I have a flower pot as well. Most pots have a hole in the bottom to allow water to absorb into the soil when you have them planted. I put a large bolt through the hole with two large washers (one on each side) and a large wingnut to secure it to the cage. It sits nicely on it's side. I bought five of them on clearance at JoAnn Fabrics. They are large and glazed. My chins like to hang out in them, but they prefer to sleep in hammocks. ;)

Menagerie, where can we find those flower pots?

I got mine at Hobby Lobby. I wasn't able to find blue, but I have a few green and a few red ones. They are $25ish a piece, so keep an eye out for a 50% off sale on ceramics/pottery. I always stock up on them when they have the sale.

My chinchillas went through their wooden house in no time at all. Now that the hole is too big for any actual privacy, they all share a fleece tube. Those ceramic pots are a very interesting idea though, and I'm sure they'd appreciate the cool feel.

The ceramic pots are a really cool idea, i know that i have seen a few like that at Home Depot I did not think to look at Michael's or some of the craft stores too.

Latest posts

Back