CEO of Humane Society says that like Michael Vick, "You're a monster too"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany_Lynn

I like dinosaurs :3
... :banghead:
:hair:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=1952

Wayne Pacelle is the CEO of the Humane Society of the United States
he is also the spokesman for Michael Vick..?

Or perhaps, in a bit of Freudian repentance, he is talking about himself: about how he lobbied the court to kill Michael Vick’s canine victims even as he was fundraising off of them?

Kathleen McGarr of Fix San Francisco, a group which has been trying to reform the city’s kill-oriented animal control and SPCA, says that when she read Pacelle’s claim that she is a monster like Vick, “I nearly fell off my chair.” McGarr’s group has been fighting Pacelle who opposes their No Kill campaign in San Francisco. In short, Pacelle says that No Kill is warehousing, leads to animal suffering, and that San Francisco shelters should be allowed to continue killing. Who is the monster here Wayne?

I have a number of other questions for Pacelle. Why did he, through HSUS:

1. Participate in the slaughter of some 150 dogs, including puppies, in Wilkes County, NC?
2. Lobby to stop No Kill legislation in King County, WA?
3. Support breed discriminatory legislation in Indianapolis, IN that would have led to the round up and killing of Pit Bulls?
4. Tell USA Today and Newsweek that killing in shelters is acceptable and that No Kill was warehousing?
5. Mislead the public about an epidemic of dog bites to convey the view that trying to save Pit Bulls was irresponsible and put children at risk?
6. Tell the court to kill Vick’s victims even as he was asking people to give HSUS money so he could “care” for them?
7. Leave New Orleans with tens of millions given to HSUS for the victims of Hurricane Katrina even while those animals were still suffering?
8. Legitimize the slaughter of virtually every animal at Tangipahoa Parish animal control?
9. Tell people not to adopt animals during the holidays, effectively accepting the deaths of 1,000,000 animals as the alternative?
10. Tell the Randolph, IA community that HSUS does not have a problem killing stray cats?
11. Claim that rescued dogs in Missouri should face a “pretty certain death”?

And especially important for San Francisco animal lovers, why is he opposing a No Kill San Francisco? Pacelle recently sent a letter to San Francisco’s Animal Control & Welfare Commission equating No Kill with hoarding and opposing shelter reform legislation that would save San Francisco’s neediest homeless animals.

So sad that again it's about the prestige of an organization or person rather than the animals. This is why I always donate to local animals charities that I know are really helping the animals. I also only support no kill groups.

There are many people who work at shelters who will tell you that no-kill is not a good thing for the animals, specifically dogs. If an animal isn't adopted within a short period of time, they can become depressed, nervous, bitey, they will go off their feed, and in short, become unadoptable. At the Sioux Falls shelter they have a program called Parolled Pets. When an animal has been at the shelter too long, they try and rotate it out to a foster home for a while to give it a mental break. Not all shelters have that option.

While I hate the thought of putting an animal to sleep for no good reason, a no-kill shelter isn't always the best approach to taking care of animals either. Dogs are meant to have room to run and families who love them. They aren't meant to spend weeks, months, or who knows, even years, stuck in a cuble of a kennel with barking dogs all around them while people pass them by.

I used to think ALL shelters should be no-kill, but I've learned differently through my friends who actually work there.

I'm very mixed up and confused about no kill. On one hand...of course I want it! What animal lover doesn't?? On the other hand I am very familiar with communities that do NOT care about their animals. The kittens pile in to the shelters by the 100's every week. If they don't kill, who is stepping up to foster them??? So far nobody. Where do they put them all? Recently in one Georgia community,a shelter with a notorious reputation, left an extremely ill yellow lab all weekend in one of their kennels without vet care. By monday a volunteer grabbed him and ran to her vet. He had to be euthanized, he was so ill. Atlanta news just ran a story on their television station about this case after volunteers went to them. Most of the outrage is coming from out of state. I don't know if there was enough local support drummed up to make a difference. I was so hoping.... If this doesn't work, I just may give up on this shelter :(

Peggy I am with you on this, with so many animals being bred by bad breeders and then dumped on shelter doors and so many already sitting there, etc sometimes putting them down is the humane thing to do.

However Michael Vick makes me wanna hurl.

On the other side of the coin...I am familiar with shelters that have KILLED dogs and cats when THEY KNEW a rescue was on the way to pick up. I also know of shelters that have killed the entire lot of animals in their shelter due to it being a long holiday weekend and no one wanted to go in and take care of the animals. No lie..this is the truth!

I think this is what spurs no kill advocates on. What I would like is a compassionate society that spays and neuters their animals. That would make me happy!

There are many people who work at shelters who will tell you that no-kill is not a good thing for the animals, specifically dogs. If an animal isn't adopted within a short period of time, they can become depressed, nervous, bitey, they will go off their feed, and in short, become unadoptable. At the Sioux Falls shelter they have a program called Parolled Pets. When an animal has been at the shelter too long, they try and rotate it out to a foster home for a while to give it a mental break. Not all shelters have that option.

You are right in that. Dogs get what is called kennel crazed/crazy. They just absolutely lose it mentally. I hate when I see a dog start to travel that path as there is no reverse in a shelter environment generally. I will try to spend more time with that dog and play with them or start teaching them something new, but it doesn't really help in the long run. And I just prep myself to say good bye until the day i finally go in and they are no longer there. I know I gave that dog my best.

I love the idea of parolled pets. I wish my shelter had something like that. At the shelter I volunteer for we have had a pit there for a year and a half and she is still somehow sane. If a dog has been in the kind of stress that long and still tolerates it and acts the same, that is one super well balanced dog. Sadly the people that want her are people that wouldn't be good owners of her/or possibly any dog.

None of the money donated to the HSUS or the ASPCA goes to any animal directly. If you want to help animals you must donate to a local humane society or spca or rescue group. Otherwise your money is just going to pay for salaries and lobbying. People really don't understand that.

No Kill can be done well, but it takes a dedicated workforce. Best Friends Animal Society and North Shore Animal League have the right idea. My local shelter that has a dozen Katrina rescue dogs just sitting in kennels, going mad? Clearly doesn't.

Our no kill shelter is fairly decent. The dogs are let outside in runs daily to run/play, and often times they are taken for walks. I do know they euth if they need to (sick, elderly, temperament issues).

I wish our law makers would implement more rules and regulations. Mandatory spay/neuter for all breeds, unless it is a proven working/showing kennel and/or owner that is actively working and showing their dogs. Shut down the puppy mills, back yard breeders, Joe and Betty down the street who want "cute puppies to sell". If all states did this one thing and enforced it--we'd have so many less animals sitting in our shelters. I have no problem with the responsible breeders breeding...but every idiot out there who wants to breed shouldn't be allowed to. Instead of mandatory spay/neuter for specific breeds--lets do them all leaving only "responsible" breeders there.

I agree with Peggy that sometimes a humane euthanasia is the best thing. There are some situations in life that are definitely worse than death. I like Border Collies and I hear from shelter workers that those are one of the breeds that does not do well in a kennel setting over the long term. I think each dog and it's situation should be considered. I get sometimes wonder about no kill shelters and the dogs that live out a good portion of their life in one. It can't be that great of a situation for that dog.

I know this is an old post, but...
We talked about this in one of our animal welfare classes at school. The problem is the no-kill shelters won't take in any pet. They take in the animals they can adopt out. Inclusive shelters will take in any animal, so no kills reject pets knowing they will, at best, be taken to an inclusive shelter. And these inclusive shelters are overwhelmed with the amount of time and money they would need to properly care for the animals. The no kills are just pawning off the actual act of killing to someone else, but I think we all need to realize it's consequences of the actions of partially everyone involved that gets these animals to the state they are in now.

It's the neglectful owner for abandoning their pet and failing to do the responsible thing.
It's the no kill shelter for rejecting the animal that has problems and is not adoptable.
It's the inclusive shelter for injecting or administering the euthanizing drugs.
It's the government for not having a better system or enforcing productive mandates.

Back