Captain Jack Sparrow

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacknRum

I've been posting all over the forum about Jack's health problems and his brother's passing, so I thought I'd share some of the good stuff, too.

DSCN2746-1.jpg

This is Captain Jack Sparrow. He is the friendliest little guy I've ever met. He loves to get pets, and loves to have his ears rubbed. He constantly is trying to steal my bracelets and eyelashes. He's kind of a dork, but I love him!

He's doing good right now, knock on wood. With my constant attention (I've been bugging him a lot, making sure he's breathing normally and feeling okay.), some new cuddle buddies, and lots of new toys, he's taking his brother's loss alright. I'm waiting for a shipment of food along with some alfalfa/timothy cubes, and some treats for him. (Also Critical Care, so I'll always have it on hand, especially since he just started his antibiotics today.).

Thanks to everyone whose given us advice so far as helped us out! And to the great sellers on here who've been patient with my emails, lol.

Thanks everyone! I will probably use this thread as an update thread for him. :) He had his second dose of meds tonight, followed up by some dehydrated dandelion greens, and now he's hanging out INSIDE his hay basket, munching away!

Thank you very much everyone! He's definitely my little buddy. He just got his second dose of meds for the day and we're on day three. He's sick of shredded wheat and will only accept it half the time, but he's still accepting bits of dandelion green after his meds.

I don't think he's eating as much. I'm monitoring him this evening, and if I don't see him eating by the morning, I'm going to crush his pellets and feed him some. But hopefully his critical care will be here tomorrow.

Things we've discovered.
Force feeding MEANS force feeding. But if you can wedge yourself in right, they have no choice but to lick it from the syringe.
Watered down pellets do not go through syringes easily.
White chinchillas and green food... He looks like he's molding.

But he ate quite a bit and presented me with some poops.

When hand feeding you do what you have to do and don't care about the chins feelings, chin needs to eat and is going to eat, that is the attitude you need for hand feeding. It will get easier and the critical care mixed correctly goes through the syringe no problem. Mix it, walk away for a few min, return and readjust the mixture texture.

The critical care got here today! I am celebrating not having to fight with pellets. We're about to do our first hand feeding with it.

The hand feeding went well. He has another at 5pm, then at 9pm he'll get another plus his meds. We've upped the dosage.

I switched him from aspen to fleece, because I want to see if he's pooping and I'm hoping less dust from bedding will help with his sneezing.

I know it's a little bare on shelves and toys, but I've got toys coming and I'm picking up hardware for the shelves I've got sanded down. He's really not moving around much anyway, just staying in the litter pan and on the long shelf, so I don't think he's bothered right now.

We like pink. :p
DSCN2755.jpg

DSCN2756.jpg

DSCN2757.jpg

He hasn't really moved from here. I think he's asking where his bedding went, lol.
DSCN2758.jpg

There were some poops under him on the shelf about an hour after the hand feeding, though! And they looked like normal poops. :]

Oops, ignore the poops on the windowsill and the bedding on the curtain. I took the pics right after I cleaned and everything surrounding the cage is a disaster.

He has that superior white chin pucker face going on, he looks bright eyed and bushy tailed for all he is going through!

Oh, and he definitely thinks he's superior now. He's discovered that if he bends his head enough, he can bite me real sharp and make me have to adjust my hold during feeding. Fortunately for me, he's also suddenly got a vendetta for the syringe, and he keeps biting the tip, letting me easily squirt food into his mouth. 15mls this time. And for all his fighting, he's bouncing around the cage and is even in his hammock. I haven't seen him climb in a couple days! :]

Back