Can someone explain a "breed back" to me?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdo9396

I think that Ruby's previous owner had her live with a male cagemate whom I believe impregnated her. I'm now nervous that she was allowed to be bred back. She just delivered 2 kits on Friday. Is there a possibility that she may be pregnant with more kits due at a later date?

Can somebody please explain this to me??

This is a pic of Ruby I received from her previous owner before I got her. She is on the left and I think the chin on the right is the male:

image.jpg

How long have you had Ruby?
A breedback happens when a chin is mated right after giving birth. In some instances a chin can get pregnant a few days before delivering a litter but I am not sure how many days exactly that can occur but it is a short window

Ohhh ok. Phew. I've had her for exactly one month today. I thought that if the male kept mating with her after she became pregnant that she could have more babies. lol thanks for clearing that up!!

I had 1 breed back here. The mom delivered one baby and 111 days she had twins. This was the 1st breed back that I had. I was surprised when she did because she never had one before.

Snickers - How did that happen? Did the male mate with her the day after she got pregnant the first time??

Snickers - How did that happen? Did the male mate with her the day after she got pregnant the first time??

This was her 3rd litter she has always been with this male but never a breed back. She must have gotten pregnant after she delivered the single kit in Feb 2010. It was exactly 111 days after this kit was born she had twins.

Yes it is! Minus the accumulated poo and chewed plastic lol. It gives me hope that someday she will be able to live with another cagemate (female of course)!

lol yes minus all the poop and plastic they just look too cute! Hopefully you will be able to get her in with a cage mate it is too cute seeing them sleep together :)

No, if Ruby has not been around any males the last week, she did not breedback. Breedback is consecutive pregnancies, not concurrent ones - concurrent pregnancies are rare and all kits are born at the same time, premature or no.

I had a chin that I removed the male 3 days before she delivered her kits.....108 days later she had 2 more kits....that was how I learned that they can still get pregnant right before they deliver....

Actually not ALL concurrent pregnancies deliver at the same time. I had one here that a litter was born right after I weaned the kits she had already, so they would've been about a month or so along when she delivered. It happens and is possible, but not a common thing per se.

Actually not ALL concurrent pregnancies deliver at the same time. I had one here that a litter was born right after I weaned the kits she had already, so they would've been about a month or so along when she delivered. It happens and is possible, but not a common thing per se.

So your chin got pregnant while she was already pregnant?

Thats just crazy....Good though seeing as the kits obviously needed more cooking before they were ready

Latest posts

Back