Can my work bring home diseases?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina Noraas

Christina
I've recently started working at an egg ranch until the school year starts, obviously it's a job that involves chickens and I believe that I've heard of poultry carrying diseases that can be fatal to chins; however I do not go in the barns or generally any where close to the chickens themselves, closest I've been to them is driving past on the way to the building that I work in. All I do is sort eggs, after they've been cleaned and what not.

Should I be worried at all?

I am a vet tech so I worry sometimes about what I bring home on my skin/scrubs. Just make sure you don't handle the chins in your work clothes and wash your hands before touching them, as well as several times at work. I use a lot of sanitizer through out the day.

My husband works in a hospital lab, so I make him take his shoes off in the garage, they are not allowed in the house at all. I mainly do this because we have children, but you might want to consider it also because you never know what you are walking in.

Actually, we all pretty much take off our shoes when we come in...I'm a bit of a germaphobe, ha ha!

Honestly, We have chickens, goats, horses, peafowl, ducks etc. I try to wash my hands (We have hand sanitizer in the barn) before I go near the chins. I don't change my clothing and take a shower before I go near them, I simply make sure my hands are clean. I do have a pair of flip flops that I keep in the chin unit and will throw on as well.

If you keep your hands washed, you should be fine.

Back