Can male and female be together?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readingchinlover

I am getting a real calm and sweet female from a friend breeder, I have a two year old male that would be introduced to her gradually, the female is not interested in breeding any longer. Am I making a mistake putting them together thinking they will get along? Please give advise!!!:wink2:

Are you trying to breed them or do you just want them to be friends?

I'm sure that even if the female isn't interested in breeding anymore your male will try to breed her...

Why do you say the female isn't interested in breeding any longer? If the female should not be bred for some reason or is aggressive because she does not want to be bred than they should not be together. If a female isn't interested in being bred any longer than she should not be put with a male.

If you put her with the male there is still a chance there will be kits and there come all the risks with that. And you will be a breeder.

Can a male and female be together, yes absolutely. Are you making a mistake putting them together YES ABSOLUTELY. Just because someone tells you the chin is no longer interested in breeding does not mean it's true. Chins are animals they don't feel tired, or not tonight honey--they mate when the female comes into heat. If the male you have is not neutered and she is not spayed then he will definitely try to mate with her. Two things can happen, she can really not be interested in mating anymore and therefore kill him for messing with her, or she can become pregnant.

If you want both of these chins then you must absolutely keep them separate.

I'd feel bad for any female who didn't want to mate if I tried to introduce them to any of my boys. They are all between one and three years old and would pursue a female relentlessly. There's not doubt we'd have fights or babies here and I've chosen to only get males for that reason. And even with males I am too scared to introduce so they all have their own cages for my piece of mind.

Why not adopt the female, let her adjust and then think about getting another female for her if you want her to have a cagemate? Unless you want "oops" babies then please do not put a male and female together. Also there is no guarantee that two chins will get along...just something to keep in mind.

Suggestions on adopting female

I was considering adopting this sweet chin female however reading some of the posts I am now rethinking!! I have no interest in breeding at all and my 2year old male who is my only chin pet would suddenly become a raving maniac trying to breed. My question would now be can they co-exist in different cages but still in the same room? Would putting them in the same room would he be aware when she comes in heat? I know now I will not consider putting them together. She is a rescue and very sweet however my male is a brat and has never been exposed to another chin. My male is free to go in and out of his cage at will and is fenced in. Should I consider just not adopting at all? My main reason of another chin is the fact thats she is so sweet and loves to be petted where my male is a brat and wont sit still.:)

Male and female chins can cohabitate in the same room, however you will have to make sure there is mo way the male can get to her cage when out as they can breed through the cage bars. Also, you will not be able to have them out at the same time together, as they can breed then.

Your male chin's personality may or may not change with the arrival of a new chin, you won't know until you bring a new chin in. Just remember, since she is a rescue, you will need to observe a 30 day quarantine period in another part of the house to ensure she isn't bringing any sickness into your home and to your male before she can be housed in your room.

Male and female chins can cohabitate in the same room, however you will have to make sure there is mo way the male can get to her cage when out as they can breed through the cage bars. Also, you will not be able to have them out at the same time together, as they can breed then.

Your male chin's personality may or may not change with the arrival of a new chin, you won't know until you bring a new chin in. Just remember, since she is a rescue, you will need to observe a 30 day quarantine period in another part of the house to ensure she isn't bringing any sickness into your home and to your male before she can be housed in your room.
Thanks much for your response, if kept in separate rooms always would that be better? I feel so sorry for this sweet female as I believe she is being kept by a animal hoarter and not in the best of conditions. Mainly want to give a good home to her.

Readingchinlover - Not all males spazz at the addition of a female. In my breeding barn I have cages full of males living together with absolutely no problems. There are other male chins that can never live with another male because of their manly hormones, whether they are exposed to a female in the room or not. Since you don't have another male in the cage, I doubt that your chin is going to turn into a drooling hump monster just because you get a female in the same room with him. As long as you keep the two separate (and they can breed through bars if they get too close) they should be fine in the same room.

Going to give it a try!

Ok today I`m going to pick up my rescue female and I`m going to keep her in separate room that my male is in. Got her cage all ready and kind of exited to start spoiling her and give her all the things she hasn`t had in the past like a dust bath and even a bed to sleep in. She isn`t really a recue and has been with the breeder for quite a few years, but I would say she is being rescued from a pretty bad situation.:)

If you think the situation is bad then you should report them. If it is just a breeder and you disagree with their methods, then that is something different. If the cages are filthy, no fresh food and water provided, etc. then that is something different.

I've had male and female chins living in the same room before. Here's a little advice so you're NEVER at risk for having an accidental breeding.

1. Keep cages several inches or more apart (as it's been stated)
2. NEVER have both cage doors open at the same time when cleaning, changing food, etc...
3. If one chin is out playing, don't open the other chin's door for ANY reason.

If you do these things you'll NEVER have an oops breeding.

They may make mating noises or chatter back and forth, but don't think that they're lonely or HAVE to meet each other. They'll be just fine living their separate lives in their separate cages.

Good luck with your new baby :)

I also have males and females in the same room, what I have found with this situation is all my females are able to have loving cagemates--female/female pairing, but my boys all have to remain separate and living single. The two boys I had who were weaned together started to fight after sometime and I had to separate them. I do not know for sure, but it could have been fighting amongst them when the females came into heat. Everyone lives quite peacefully and happily separate though so my boys are just fine alone.

I picked up my female a couple of days ago and so far ok. Right now she isn`t doing much other than sleeping. Can`t believe she does not want to go into a bed or any other enclosure that I`ve given her. Maybe starting to get alittle more comfortable and so far loves cheerios, which she probably has never had. I`m hoping with time she will be as friendly as she was with me in her old home. She does love being able to go in and out of her cage into her fenced area.

If your new female was brought out of a hoarding situation, I urge you do something about it. You may have been able to bring that chin out of that environment but you have done nothing for the other animals in the hoarder's care and nothing for the hoarder herself.

Hoarding is both a mental and physical condition. I wish I could show you the thousands of pictures I have as a result of having to deal with the aftermath of hoarding conditions--the suffering animals is sickening. Hoarding behaviors are treatable, and as being a recognized mental health condition, just like depression, there should be NO SHAME in getting your friend the help she needs.

The only shame would be knowing there are animals in danger of neglect/poor diet/ some may even call it "over loved", and doing nothing with that knowledge.

I can help you with resources if you need, feel free to pm me.

Back