Can it be something different?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellembas

My 8 month old chin has started popcorning a lot more than I'm used to the last couple of days. I know it normally means they're quite happy, and so it may seem ridiculous that I think it's a problem but I just wanted to double check that she's okay.
I'd say around 10-15 times per hour.
She'll be very still and then jump up, and sort of contort then scamper off somewhere.
Is she just being more active recently or could it be something else? Like fear or something similar?
It's been a lot colder this week than it has been recently, so maybe she has a bit more energy?
Does anyone think I should be concerned or is she just a happy chinnie? x

She's just having an especially fun time and is happy. It could be a teenage thing too. It's really hard sometimes to understand the motivations of a chinchilla.

I know exactly why you're worried, I am on the same boat as you are, Muffin is like that also, she would popcorn for no apparent reason, at first I asked my husband whether he thinks there's something wrong with Muffin, I've never seen a chin popcorn like that, she popcorns when she runs into her hides house, popcorns when I change her fleece liner, and she's standing on the naked pan, popcorns when I take her hidey house away to clean, I mean, how fun can that be? Well it's been a year or so now, she's popcorning less frequently when she's inside her cage, but when I take her out on my sofa or bed, she still popcorns non stop, it's so amusing to watch, and I do officially conclude she a normal chin, just more happy and easily entertained. I love her so much

Back