can chins know their name?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoshi86

Ok, this may be a really dumb question and please don't mark me as being unintelligent but is it possible for chins to learn their name like dogs and cats? I swear my little Yoshi knows his ;)

absolutely - I have 35 chins and they all know their names. They don't ALWAYS respond all the time - only when it suits them (much like a cat)

Not only do my chins know their real names most of them also know their nicknames. I have called Abigail, Peeper for quite sometime and she knows I am talking to her. I will lay in my bed and look at her in her cage and I will call Peeper and she looks right at me.

Oh sure, when you are holding a treat they know their names. :p

The chins definitely learn their names and they know what certain words mean. Treats is known by everyone, Shreddie is known by nearly all of them. They know what "hay" means... I think that they know what "Who wants playtime!" Everyone runs up to the front of the cages first thing in the morning when I say that.

I do have a fair amount of chins that will ignore me sometimes. Most of the time that is when they have made a quick getaway or have stolen something they shouldn't be chewing on. Butters knows everything that I am saying when he is in his cage...when he's in a play area, forget it...he all of a sudden doesn't understand.

They definitely know their names. All my boys know their names and nicknames like Laurie said. It's really a matter of whether they feel like responding. Chins are very free spirited and will only respond to you when it suits them, duh! :tease:

I don't think my chin has any idea what her name is. But, in her defense I have a plethera of nicknames for her:

Chloe
Chlo
Moo
Moosh
Moo Moo
Moodles
Da Moo
Da Mao (pronounced like the guy but no association)
Mooshka
Boo
Boo Boo
Ba Booshka
Girlie
Bobos
Nunu

I don't think I ever gave her a chance to learn her name.

They for sure know their names,and nicknames too! Dude knows, for example, when I say, "Dudemeister!" or "Dudeman"! That he is about to get a treat. And Annie, my naughty chin, knows she has been especially naughty when she hears her full name.... "Annabelle!!!" She gives me her pitiful "What did I do?" look. She is called "Anna Banana" when she is being a good girl ;) Gabbie is also called "Gabb-a-reno", or "Gabster".

Edgar knows his name and how to ignore it when convenient as well. He also knows that if the work cookie or oat is mentioned he's likely to get a treat.

Back