can chinchillas be around candles?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have scentsy specifically and its basically a wickless candle. Was wondering if it would be safe to have them going in the same room as the chins? Thanks! :)

I don't have anything or spray anything scented in the same room as my chins. It can be irritating to their respiratory system.

I do have one candle in the room, but it has very little scent as I cant tolerate perfume well. I know Scentsy is very strong, and I would not recommed it to be in the room with them

I've burned plenty of candles around my chins over the years and even incense. It doesn't give them respiratory infections or any respiratory problems...they aren't birds.

I have done scented oils, candles and incense as well as those room refresher things from Febreeze. Trixie has had no issues. I always keep the scented items across the room from her cage..and never in her playroom as I do not want her chewing them.

I do have one candle in the room, but it has very little scent as I cant tolerate perfume well. I know Scentsy is very strong, and I would not recommed it to be in the room with them

It depends on the scent. There are a ton of scentsy scents that are very soft (luna, be still, satin sheets, black raspberry vanilla, pixie, and several others).

That said, I do have my Scentsy in the same room, but completely across the room so that it isn't as strong. I also make it a point not to melt super strong scents in that room. I have never had a problem with breathing issues, nor do they seem at all bothered by it.

Last edited:
They will be in a 28'x40' finished basement... so they wouldn't be in a tiny little area also. And where their cage will be going isn't by any outlets. I wouldn't have it going all the time. I would just have it going once in a blue moon basically. :) I also have MANY scents but I wouldn't melt any that were super super strong if I were to have it going.

I have my scentsy in the kitchen and the living room (where I keep my chinchillas) is right next to it. I've never seen them be irritated by it or have trouble breathing because of the scentsy and I am able to smell it in the living room.

I use candles all the time in the room where marble and his cage are. It doesn't seem to irritate him. That room is big and well ventilated so the scent dissipates pretty quickly too.

i sell eclipse candle company.
and have candles or my warmer going all the time out in the kitchen.
booboo is in my living room and he never seems affected by it.
so i think you'd be okay :)

Back