Calling Feisty Ferret Home owners!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla City

I'm hoping you guys could answer some questions about the feisty ferret cage for me.

1. Since not all the mesh bars attach to the frame, is the cage noisy? I've read about the bars snapping with wheels, I don't have a wheel nor do I intend to get one but do you think they'd be okay with some solid surface boards lining the back and sides if the chins bounce off the walls? I would like the practicality of a melamine cage with the ability to disassemble and move.

2. If I take out the wire bottom so the chins are on the plastic pan, are there "chewable" pan edges exposed?

3. Can the cage be lowered (such as shelf and legs removed if I don't use the pan) but still have casters?

4. Has anyone disassembled and reassembled the cage? How do the screws and connection points hold up or do they strip easily?

5. Lastly, anyone know what the cheapest price is for one new? The best I found lately is amazon for $155.

Thank you in advance to anyone and everyone who responds. Wish I could just go look at it in a store but my local store has not had one assembled :(

I own a feisty ferret. I would not trust the bottom wire above the plastic pan to be removed as just with me touching it as I go to clean it will fall right out of the slats so I would imagine a bouncing chin could get it to fall and then be loose. I had mine split into 2 separate cages and tiled the second floor and put fleece over it. We did have a member who had a young chin get his foot stuck on that wire floor and break his leg. Luckily she was home at the time and heard the commotion since he was hanging by his leg. The chin needed to be brought into an e-vet. She had that shelf covered in fleece but the fleece moved and well that accident happened. Sad thing is it looks like there is no way of having that not installed other than just cutting the bars out entirely by hand.

I got mine second hand and it was already assembled so that I can't help you out there. I also would not trust it lowered as I don't think the design would be stable then.

The cage overall i don't think is any more noisy when there are no wheels than any other cage. You know in between silence and fire arms going off. It honestly probably isn't the best cage for a chinchilla. I still have mine though in case of fostering but keep it split to minimize the dangers of the second wire floor. I have a Ferret Nation for my girls (again split but I have a brat who hates all other chins) and I love it. It can handle a chin spin and a flying saucer just fine. I'd suggest trying to find a used one if you can as those are easier to clean. The Feisty Ferret only has one side open not both which can make it more difficult to get a chin out.

i have one of them, and i love it. i don't think its noisy at all.. i use the plastic bottom but my chin doesn't chew it so i lucked out there.

never took it apart, sorry.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Well I found a better picture of the pan and it definitely looks like the boys would chew it. I guess I will just cover the wire floor with tiles or plexi, no biggie since they urinate in a corner pan.

When I first got my chins 7 years ago, I had prevue cages and the wire floor spacing was excellent, like 1/4 x 2 or something super small, I really liked it and was sad when I found out this cage did not have the same floor.

So excited, I even thought of a really cute theme and now my head is flooded with accessory ideas! Hmmm should I order the cage now or wait and see if I can get it cheaper for black friday (I love deals) but I don't know if I can wait that long?

I am actually just getting rid of my feisty ferret cage. If you live in MA you're welcome to come get it! haha anyway, to answer some of your questions:

1. No the cage isn't really that noisy, I had a chin spin in mine and it rattled but not any more than my ferret nation or other cage. One bar was broken when I got it (from CL), but it's never been a problem.

2. I used the grate at the bottom and then covered most of the floor with tile. It was really easy and cost roughly $4. Picturing it without the grate, yes I think they'd chew it. Also it's nice to be able to slide the pan out and still have a floor for the chin, that way you can dump it when the chin is still in the cage.

4. I've disassembled and reassembled it, it's pretty annoying but hopefully you can just move it with the wheels/transport it still assembled in a van or truck (if you move) so you don't have to go through it again. And it's no more annoying than the other cages I've put together.

5. I don't know where to get it cheaply other than craigslist, but I do have a few other things to add.

It's really a great size for a chin, there's lots of room to put shelves, add a wheel, decorate etc. Also you can take out the middle grate and then it becomes a really nice cage! Just watch out that if you use the little window that's on the top grate (it slides open so you can put in hay or whatever) that you make sure to CLOSE it afterwards. This seems obvious but I've left it open twice on accident and the chin escaped and got hurt due to this mistake. Just be careful!

Finally know in advance that all four doors don't open, it's only the two on the right side, so it's better to put the dish/hay on that side so you don't have to reach into the cage every time to refill. Luckily the slide in tray makes it easier because you can just dump whatever's on your tiles into it, and then take the tiles out to clean.

I actually probably have a pic of mine somewhere but I'll have to find it!

Just watch out that if you use the little window that's on the top grate (it slides open so you can put in hay or whatever) that you make sure to CLOSE it afterwards. This seems obvious but I've left it open twice on accident and the chin escaped and got hurt due to this mistake. Just be careful!

Wait so there is a feeder door on the top of the cage (like the roof)? That is interesting.

We've modified several Feisty Ferret cages.

The first thing we do is remove the wire bottom and swap it around with the plastic pan so that the wire actually helps support the pan. This adds functionality to the cage and eliminates the potential harm of the wire bottom. Adding a scatter guard helps contain bedding and poos.

Then, we completely remove the wire cage divider and make it an open, double sized cage. The metal support tracks then act as a support for a couple of side mounted shelves.

It's really a decent cage. But it is not nearly as , large, well constructed or sturdy as the FN cages. Personally, I'd pay a little more for an FN cage as opposed to a FF cage. Unless you can find a great deal on a used one.

Here's a picture of one of the cages we've modified.

Attachments

• P9040799.jpg
    P9040799.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 120
I like your modifications Whimsy!

I have considered a ferret nation but since I live with roommates that means chins usually in my bedroom which is not large enough for the fn unless I want poop to land on my head while I sleep.

I like your modifications Whimsy!

I have considered a ferret nation but since I live with roommates that means chins usually in my bedroom which is not large enough for the fn unless I want poop to land on my head while I sleep.

Thanks!~

It sounds like your choice of FF cage is perfect for you then. There are really lots of options you can use to make it ideal for the critters too. One more thing that really helps muffle sound of a noisy wheel is to stiffen up the structure of the cage. In that case, attaching L-shaped ledges and scatter guards really seems to make a difference.

Can the FF cage hold a wheel or would it snap the bars? I found a cage on cl that the people said is like an FN/CN so I am assuming it is this one. They want $90 for it. Is it worth $90?

I had a chin spin in it for awhile and nothing snapped. And if it's not rusted I'd say it's worth it. I got mine with a chin I got on CL, and the total was $100, but it was rusted over and I had to get rid of it. Otherwise it would have been a perfect cage.

Chinchy was in a FF when we got him and we had him in it for 6 months or so and recently got him a QC mansion instead. It's noisy, in my opinion. If the bolts are tightened well then it doesn't make that much noise, but with ours at least, we tightened it, and then a few days later they'd loosened again and were just as noisy as before.

Chinchy was in a FF when we got him and we had him in it for 6 months or so and recently got him a QC mansion instead. It's noisy, in my opinion. If the bolts are tightened well then it doesn't make that much noise, but with ours at least, we tightened it, and then a few days later they'd loosened again and were just as noisy as before.

To be clear, your feisty ferret was noisier than a QC?

I am having seconds thoughts about the cage. Currently I have a flight cage with the same dimensions just 5" shorter. I'm thinking maybe I should just "re-do" that one. I was really wanting 2 full floors and with my current cage I feel that 35" is not really tall enough to divide in half plus it kinda has an ick factor since I got it used and it used to house birds. But paying $100 or more for only 5" more height, I don't know. :hair:

Wait so you're dividing it in half then? I divided mine for about a month then I decided it wasn't enough room for each chin. My chins definitely didn't like being in it until I took out the divider and only put one chin in it. Maybe they are spoiled though, they did move from larger cages into that situation. It was quiet in my experience though, even with a wheel. If you do decide to check it out and there is more than just a little rust, I'd only get it if they lower the price. Used FN's on CL are sold for that price a lot of times!

They sent me a picture of the cage and the one side had rust all over it so I decided not to get it. I will just have to buy a new FN.

I do not want to divide it off to separate chins but rather use the top floor (covered with tile or something) for more floor area so 2 chins both with access to top and bottom floor.

2manypets- good decision!

CC- oh okay gotcha. Sorry I got confused between whether you or 2manypets was the original poster, my bad. I'd say it's plenty big enough if the chins aren't divided and can both move from one floor to the other, and you have the option of sectioning off one half while you clean the other half, which is nice. If you have the time I'd keep looking for used FN's that are around the same price as a new FF, then it'll be a lot bigger than the flight cage and worth the money.

I have this cage and want to get rid of all the wire flooring, what kind of tile do you use? And should I leave the wire in the corner where he pees, so it just goes straight down into the pan? I also thought about just getting a fleece cover and trying to find something that will cover the entire bottom. What do you guys think?

Back