Calling all current/former housekeepers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

I just started working at a hotel last Wednesday. Over the weekend we've had a million rooms. Friday we had 20 something, Saturday we had 36, Sunday we had 33, and Monday we has 30.
My feet are soooooooo Sore! I hate it, lol

Does anyone know if the shoe insert things help at all?

Anyone got some tips?

I used to work in retail so I was on my feet all the time. I bought some Skechers that really, really helped. I can't remember the specific name of them but someone on here recommended them to me. I also had some Dr. Scholl's gel inserts.

36 rooms? Woah. That's horrible. They really need to hire some more housekeepers. We give our girls max 17, and that's on a bad day. :( I'm sorry you guys are so overworked.

As for the shoes, I highly recommend nursing shoes. I work at the front desk so I stand my entire shift. These are the ones I own just in back.

http://www.scrubshopper.com/products/1828-dusty

They also have ones with a back in case that's more for what you are looking for. They may not be the prettiest things, but my feet don't hurt at all anymore and neither does my back. The absolute best $60 I ever spent.

Some of them help...sometimes. It really pays to find a good fitting, comfortable shoe. Check out shoes for nurses (people on their feet ALL day). Crocs are popular, too. I've had good luck buying work boots/shoes--they tend to be built better than your average tennis shoe and provide more support.

Dr. Scholl's inserts are awesome when you have to stand all day. I worked retail, about 8 hours each shift and the inserts made me incredibly happy.

Bonne, they are expensive but wonderful--see if you have a Good Feet Store near you for professional inserts. Lots of sports people go there and use them.

There's a nursing-style (Closed toe and higher ankle/heel area) Croc that I wore at my pharmacy job that was GREAT. I got a year out of 1 $50 pair that are pretty well worn to nothing now, but still incredibly comfy for yard work, etc.

Whatever you do AVOID "Danskin Now". Their padding is nonexistent, and even on mats with Dr. Scholls gel inserts, I ache from the hips down at the end of a 6 hr. day.

I can't recommend shoes, Bonnie, but I worked at a motel for 2 years (years ago, where I met my husband) and wanted to warn you to take care with your back. I messed up my lower back by improperly making beds - to get them done as quickly as possible. I think throwing queen size sheets and comforters onto beds took its toll on me. So if they offer you supports for your back (we didn't have them to use) you should use them, or at least take caution in keeping your back in good alignment when putting on those sheets. Good shoes will help, tho, and my guess would be nursing shoes.

I work retail and have both back and feet issues. I wear Merrell clogs. Not the greatest looking (especially working at Neiman Marcus), but my doctor recommended them for their padding and support.

My favorite style is called "Encore". It comes in many colors and several variations on the style. Here's their website:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Hom...s_kwcid=TC|6977|merrell shoes||S|e|4162548335

Good luck, and like Jenn said, take care of your back!!!

I have worked retail and done hair, so I know all about the foot pain. My favorite pair of shoes I had was made by Born, and very supportive. After a few years the padding wore down a bit and Dr Scholl's inserts helped a lot. Wish I could afford to get another pair!!

I've worked in food and lab situations where you stand or walk all day too. It's just getting used to it. It'll take a few weeks but eventually your feet will not be sore.

It helps to start off with a high quality shoe, I walk and jog as well and usually pick up whatever xxwide cross trainer or running shoe I can get my hands on.

Don't be afraid to spend $60 or more on shoes - your feet and back will thank you later. You're putting on a lot of miles!

If you are looking for an insert, I highly recommend Superfeet. My boss bought us a pair before the summer started, and they are a godsend!!! check them out at superfeet.com

Thanks Everyone!

I just spent a little over $38 on one of my "uniforms" and since I work everyday (for now, later will be either me and the other girl, or just one of us) I need more than one! White bra, white undershirt, white top shirt, khaki pants, and white shoes and I have to pay for them myself.
Plus I have to have white tennis shoes. I have several pairs already so I really dont need to buy more, but I might =)
I'll check shoe show and see what they got.
I'm gonna give the Dr. Scholls (sp) a try and see if that helps at all.

Latest posts

Back