Calcium in young chins effect on teeth

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieP

I went to a seminar last Saturday entitled "Small mammal dentistry" given by my vet, Dr. Peter Fisher. It was very interesting.

One thing I thought was worthy of discussing on here is calcium in young chins. He said that inadequate calcium intake causes the jaw to develop improperly, which can cause the molars to be crooked and/or loose.

Has anyone heard this before?

I've heard of that before. In mother chins there can be loose teeth because of the calcium being released from the jaw - that can turn into spurs easily. Any chins that do not have sufficient calcium or have loose teeth run the risk of spurs or other tooth issues.

Do you think that this is common is chins?
Should they be given alfalfa hay and/or cuttlebone in addition to pellets while they are growing and their bones still developing? Or is there such thing as too much calcium in growing chinchillas.

I would not do it in a chinchilla who was fed a healthy diet and the mother had a healthy diet-I have heard of this condition through the rescue in chin mills and BYBs.

A healthy pellet and quality hay diet should be sufficient for any growing chinchilla. Many people who feed hay cubes feed the mixed ones with alfalfa in them.

Latest posts

Back