Cage Size

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolaris

How large do you feel a cage needs to be two comfortably accommodate 3 adult chinchillas?

I have some that are about 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 x 1 (about) that trios live happily. There are a ton of shelevs

Are these three pet chinchillas? I'm asking b/c you're going to get a big difference of opinion from pet owners and breeders regarding an adequate size of cage. Pet owners tend to go with "bigger is better". To house three pet chins, I personally would be looking at a minimum cage size of about 5' tall X 30" wide and about 24" deep with lots of well placed shelves in case they take a fall then they don't fall very far.

This cage below is about the measurements I just mentioned and even though I only have one chin in it, I'd feel comfortable putting three in there but I won't b/c I'm only doing pairs these days.

100_5062.jpg

You're definitely going to get a lot of responses. I've housed 3 chinchillas in a half of a cage that is about 40"x24"x30ish" and they did fine. For most pet owners "bigger is better" is the motto, but you can do somewhat smaller and feel comfortable, too.

I have my two girls in a 142 but since I will be trying a trio, I went ahead and added a 143. I am a total "bigger is better" person. I work full time and go to school at night and I would be lying if I said that the girls get out every night for playtime, I average about 4 times a week, so for me having the big cage helps me to not feel so bad. I have the middle section out (in the 142), tons of shelves and two wheels, so they get plenty of exercise even if they don't get playtime.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking of buying a martin's high rise chinchilla cage without shelves and getting wooden ones for it. Would you recommend a different cage and have a link where I can check it out?

I could not be more please than I am with both my Ferret Nation 143s. I have a trio in one and a quad group in the other. All are boys.

I had the large SuperPet 5' tall cage before I got these (when I just had 2 chins), but by the time you replace all the plastic shelves, it really is expensive. You might just as well go for the FNs - it wasn't any more expensive if you watch for it on sale. Course then I added the Bass pans, and a truck load of new toys and hideys - but hey, what else do I work for? The FN quality is great, and ease of cleaning is unbelievable.

I have the 6' tall Martin's for my rats, and I like it well enough. It's MUCH harder to clean and move around, though. And it's not as "pretty." I got it because of the bar spacing. If the Critter Nation had been out then, I think I would have liked that better. Just my opinion.

Quality cage makes nice chin cages that already come with wood shelves. http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=129_142_153
Although honestly, for the price they charge, I would seriously consider a Ferret Nation. ETA: Did you know that most Petsmart stores will price match KennelVet's price of $156 on a FN 142? The highrise you mentioned is $150 with slide out pan and I assume that doesn't include shipping.

Last edited:
We just got an Ferret Nation 142 and it's a really nice cage. I really like the way that the doors open so it will be easy to clean the cage. We are also getting Bass pans to make clean up even easier. Even though we only have one chinchilla I think that three bonded ones could be happy in it or you could add the third level. You can even split the levels if you ever needed to separate them.

Right now they are fairly priced at ferret.com

In a full FN 142 I would put up to 4 chins, maybe 5. If you take the middle section out, there is TONS of space if you add enough ledges and houses.
With the 143 add on it is even better.
I really only feel 1 FN level is enough for 1 chin, but I can agree that 2 would be acceptable.

I have 3 girls in a FN142 and 2 in another FN142. I would be fine with having 4 in one :). Dimensions are approx. 48 high x 36 wide x 24 deep, I have pans in the middle of both.

As some of you know i'm adding my 2 six week olds to thier dads cage in a couple more weeks, i have him in a fiesty ferret cage, will this accomidate all of them or should a look to upgrade?

for 3 chins

At least 30"x30"x60". The more the better always. I actually have one chinchilla and I built his cage and its a little bigger than that for just him. It was 24x24x36 but I added on-the old is the new top and the new bottom is about 36"x36"x36". Once I added on, he was soooo much happier. And he has a 12" ledge now for when he's out of his cage that he sits on after doing sprints. His cage is part of the obstacle course, lol. He no longer climbs all the way to the top, though, which I'm honestly happy about. I have to stand on his one door (the cage is very sturdy) to clean his top shelf, lol! I'm only 5' 2". They love space for climbing, jumping, doing laps, etc. He's a happy, healthy little guy!

Yeah, the feisty ferret cage should do! I tend to go bigger than the minimum. Height is what matters the most (not only, but the most) and I think it'll work:)

As a breeder I have smaller cages than many people would prefer for pets. But I have to say you should provide the biggest cage that you can work with

Back