Cage ramp?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shopaholic0514

My bf just made a stand for our quality cage cage. And now the door is pretty high up. I used to put a box infront of the cage and my chin would just jump on the box then jump back into his cage when he's ready after play time. But now since its so high, there is no way he can jump in by himself. So, its very necessary that we get him a ramp or something to help him. I'm just wondering what kind of ramp do you guys use?
We are thinking about maybe three leadges along the outside of the cage and he can just use them. But I think it'd take him a while to figure it out?

I have been trying to work out making stairs out of wood to go from the bottom of my FN to the ground. Your chin may take to stairs quickly after using the box

When I used cages like that I would put a chair in front of the cage for the chins to hop up to when they would want to go back. That may not get the chins high enough in your case.

It wouldn't be too hard to make something out of wood that would do the trick. Maybe a ladder that has flat rungs and leans up against the cage? You could actually secure it to the cage with fasteners or clips. Maybe even a step ladder could work.

My FN cages are on their stands. 1 out of my 5 chins atm will make that jump on their own with no assist. And she does it often. She'll hope in and out several times when out to play. You can buy a longer ramp designed for FN cages of the makers website. Just cover it in fleece/get a fleece cover so they dont hurt themself. I would imagin it would work for quality cages if its the right size.

If hes used to boxes, you can stick with that. If the distence is to much for one box, then try getting two. A small one, and a larger one. And let him hop up.

Or theirs another option that i ended up useing. Kneel down in front of the cage. Let on knee be even with the bottem of his cage, and the other lead down to the floor. That way he can hop right out and crawl down you to the floor safley.
I started doing that a long time ago to try and help get the chins more comfortable with me. It took some time, but it worked pretty well. The two chins i took in (seperatly) both do it, their first kid does it, and 1 out 2 of their daughters does it. (total so far 4/5 use it just fine) They even have trained themselves to know that when i kneel down in fron tof the cage after play time, or set out the protected ladder, they know its time to go back in and (usualy) do so on their own. 0.0 :D Cant beat that!

Maybe some pet steps would work. It all depends on how high, but they seem to come in different heights and different materials..
LuckyCatWholesale%203%20Step.jpg

I use pet steps and have absolutely no complaints! They're really light, easy to move around, and work great for training. I move the steps away from the cage once everyone's out so they can perch on them during playtime. Then, when I want them to go back, I put the steps in front of the cage, say "go home", and in they go. I'm sure the treats that they get once they're back in help as well. :))

Then, when I want them to go back, I put the steps in front of the cage, say "go home", and in they go. I'm sure the treats that they get once they're back in help as well. :))

So... Jelaous! I wish my little guys would even look at me when I say their names, let alone follow commands.

So... Jelaous! I wish my little guys would even look at me when I say their names, let alone follow commands.

It's just time, patience and spaced repetition. To get them to learn their names, you just use them constantly like you would with a dog. When they display comprehension, you reward them with verbal praise, a stick, pumice, a rosehip, oats, or shredded wheat. My guys love their shredded wheat, so when I need them to understand me and realize "OH! You want THIS!", shredded wheat or a cheerio is what I use.

"Go home" took a while with Boji and Maia, but Nixi and Buddha had it down in about 2 months. Their retention is beyond amazing, so if they like the reward, they'll continue to repeat the behavior. Of course, my friends watch my training antics and just shake their heads at me. :))

Latest posts

Back