Cage placement

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahKay

Mother of Zeb and Roo
Is it okay to have my chin cage by the window while it's still mild out? I don't think there could be any problems with overheating, but should they not be getting this much sun?

i know i can't sleep during the day if sunlight is streaming in via a window, so i would think chins would appreciate it not super bright. maybe drape a large piece of fleece over the two sides of the cage that are nearest the window, to darken it a bit for them?

and perhaps monitor the temperature right beside their cage, just to ensure it isn't getting too warm for them. do you have an air conditioner in the room?

I do not have an air conditioner because I'm at my college house but I'm in western new york so it's only about 50 out right now.

Your chin will be fine by the window. Sunlight coming in doesn't tend to bother them, in fact many chins will lay in spots until they feel too warm if they are comfortable enough. Just provide places the chin can get away and monitor the temperature to be sure the area is not too warm.

Now, not having an air conditioner can turn into a problem if you get temperature spikes before you go home for the summer. You need to keep a close eye on the temp. It's only about 50 here right now too, but we still have days that get warm.

I have stone tiles that I freeze and put in for them to sit on when it gets really warm and always keep a fan on. Also, when it's warm the middle of my house stays very cool so I can easily move them somewhere they won't be affected. Thank you for the feedback!

Just so you know, fans do nothing for cooling off a chinchilla. Fans only seem to cool us off because they evaporate sweat, which makes us feel cooler. Chins do not sweat, therefore the principle of a fan is lost on them due to different physiology. Also, stone tiles are only meant to be used in a temporary situation, such as power outages, etc. Do you go home in the summer to where the chin will have a steady cool temperature?

The portable AC shouldn't be a "temporary just in case it gets too hot" sort of thing. Once temps are above 65-70 steadily and constantly, the chins should be in AC 24/7. Playing around with temps is asking for a problem. We have a member who claims chins can acclimate to higher temps, but it's not in their best interests, and frankly, they are miserable.

Latest posts

Back