Cage Mountable Food Dish

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inzeos

Looking to find a good food dish that can be mounted to the side of my FN-142 cage. Trying to find something that is fairly rugged as we have one or two chins who love to empty their dishes when they get upset with you. Ideally they would hold between 1.5c to 2c worth of food.

Any suggestions?

Check the bird aisle of the pet store. They have metal cups and also ceramic cups that mount to the sides of the cages. I use metal ones, which the chins tend to poop in, but don't come off the cage. The ceramic ones have hoods, so to speak, which may help with dumping.

I have metal bird food dishes that attach to the side of my chin's cage. They slide onto the bars of the cage and my chin hasn't tried to move it at all since I got it. It's completely made of metal so there's nothing for them to chew on. I bought it at a local pet store, not a chain so I can't really tell you where to get it but something like this might work well. I know it's from PetSmart but it should serve your purpose. If not, maybe check your local pet stores for bird food dishes.

Stacie you dont find your boys poop in them?

My chins always seem to stand on the dish and poop (and sometimes pee) in it.
I had to switch

Stacie you dont find your boys poop in them?

My chins always seem to stand on the dish and poop (and sometimes pee) in it.
I had to switch

This is the issue I am having right now. Although only poop. Maci likes to perch up on the side and eat. I'm wondering if I go to a smaller coop cup style if that will stop or not. What did you switch to?

Sorry I just now saw this. They do poop in them occasionally, but I figure they eat their own poop anyway, so.....yeah.

I usually just pick the poops out every night.

Mine do the same thing. It doesn't seem to bother them.

I use ceramic bowls similar to this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-cera...-DESIGN-/120695936707?clk_rvr_id=237949878970 from Petsmart, they're about $5. They're pretty heavy, and so far neither of my chins has seem intent on trying to overturn them.

I'm using this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751756

My chin sits on the edge to eat from it, and poops in it too. He had a cute stoneware floor sitter with paw prints on it, but I switched to the hopper after giving him a fresh crock of food and watching him immediately pee in it. I had to augment the side of the cage to make it fit and had to plan where to put it because it can't be moved.

Latest posts

Back