Cage maintenance, making it easy: Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encantadora

LvL Chinchillas
I just got a ferret nation/critter nation cage and had a question about how to make it as easy to clean as possible. Other than cage liners and litter pans, does anyone have a suggestion of ways to keep down the mess?

The cage is divided into two cages but only has one chin in it right now. The chin uses the litter pan (most of the time). But between hay, spilled litter, and chinnie poo it can be a lot of daily cleaning it seems. Is there an easier way? Out of all my cages, this one seems to take the most upkeep.

I did make progress in shortening cleaning time by using a power vac to vacuum out debris every morning when the chins are out playing. But I'm wondering if there is a way to keep it from looking like a disaster area to begin with.

I've seen the ledges with edges (hey that rhymes!) that help to keep the poo from falling to the floor.

I tried getting some cheap carpet runners and encircling the cage with them so that they catch the shavings, poo etc. Then I just roll them up and shake them outside. That will help cut down on the ceasless vaccuuming around the cage. Or if you dont like that, there are those "boot pans" that people use when their boots are wet. Those never need vaccuming or washing cause nothing sticks to them.

I also keep a little dirt devil with the extension for sucking up poo etc as my spot checker. My chin doesnt seem to mind the vaccuum and it only takes about 5 min to vacuum the liner and throw out the small potty pan.

Those are all the secrets to cleaning I can think of at the moment. I hope that helps!

I find the best way to keep my cage clean, is to not put my chinchilla in there.:hilarious:

I am working on aluminum screens for the sides and back, I will let you know if it is worth it.

I have to agree... The little rechargeable DustBuster vacs are great.

Last edited:
I put plexiglass attached with wing nuts around the back top and bottom on the outside of the cage.The sides I just put it around the bottom where I had shavings about 5 inches high. I also made my shelves with edges. This has helped 95% from poops and shavings. Also i switched to fleece liners which I honestly dont like but it also keeps from shavings being all over the place. So im switching back!! Yes it is one of the messiest cages ever!! But I really like it.

I put plexiglass attached with wing nuts around the back top and bottom on the outside of the cage.The sides I just put it around the bottom where I had shavings about 5 inches high. I also made my shelves with edges. This has helped 95% from poops and shavings. Also i switched to fleece liners which I honestly dont like but it also keeps from shavings being all over the place. So im switching back!! Yes it is one of the messiest cages ever!! But I really like it.

Was this for a FN142????
How much did it cost?

It is actually a critter nation. Same thing just bar spacing is the opposite direction and smaller. It didnt cost me anything because my neighbor was throwing a bunch of plexiglass away. The only thing i purchased was wing nuts. :)

I have to agree with making shelves with ledges on them. It's helped with my mess, drastically. Now, I just need to find some way to keep bedding in the babies' cage and I'll be set! 2" edges seem to be plenty.

Thanks for the ideas!
We also put plexiglass around the outside. It covers up to about the ledge. I love that it keeps most of the mess off the floor. Yes, it is a messy but really nice cage. At least the chins love it. They love it so much it looks like they throw a college party every night and use litter from the pan for confetti!

i did the aluminum screen it doesnt work ALLLLL of my chins tried to eat it!!!!

I used hardware cloth which is sturdier than screen, and I haven't had a problem with chins chewing it. It's only been up a month or two, but so far, so good.

Linda

I can live with the poo honestly, but the shavings is what drives me nuts! I have 2 FN setups, one a 2 story and one a 3 story. In the 2 story I have Bobo and GiGi on the bottom and GiGi is a digger--on top is Mick and Wesley who chase each other--in the other setup I have Abby & Solange on 3rd story, baby Lisa and Bronwyn in the middle and Leonard on the bottom and I NEVER have shavings on the floor from any of them! But the 2 story holy cow it's a shavings nightmare. But I love the cage. I love the easy access to getting to them, and being able to clean. I'm in the process of making fleece liners for those cages to see if it helps with the shavings. The plexiglass idea sounds very good though and I may try it!

Back