Cage for blind chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure where or why you got the idea that I'd be recommending a 5 foot cage for any chin with no ledges or perches - that would indeed be scary and potentially dangerous. My cages have so many perches and ledges that the furthest a chinnie could fall, realistically, might be 6-8". The "divider" as you call it, is in all my cages. Of course once you let the chin get used to the cage and don't change the layout, there's no problem with that. Animals are extremely adaptive and often we're the only ones who limit them by their disabilities. It took Gizmo all of about half a day to memorize the layout - they are smart animals and he was overjoyed to have more than a 24"x24" cage to run around in.

Like I said, I'm glad the shelving setup is working for you - but I do think it would be somewhat negligent not to point out to folks looking for a cage setup the potential issues with a DIY cage like that. And I just couldn't limit my guys to a 20" height after seeing how much they love climbing and jumping and being chinnies - their favorite spot is the highest point in the cage, and considering how much time they spend there, I definitely want to make sure it's as awesome for them as it possibly can be.

The C&C comment wasn't directed at you, I'd have clarified if I'd realized you would think that by quoting you, I must only be addressing only you. I was commenting on Jlieberman's C&C setup, which includes several things that make me really uneasy, but then I decided there's no point arguing with someone who hasn't had chins more than a couple weeks and might not have had time to digest all the information or recognize their distinct differences and needs (versus, say, guinea pigs).

Anyway, I'm not against DIY options and I realize the commercial cage option is more expensive and I hated that when I got into chinchillas, but after researching at great length it became clear the best thing for them was a sturdy, well-made cage, which for me wasn't going to be possible with cubes or shelving (of which I've used both for GP cages and understand that the shelving is sturdier than cubes - still not sturdy enough for me to consider it safe). This point has been illustrated for me lately, especially, because I have the grids zip tied to the FN (in the photo/illustration from my earlier post) and every morning and night I have to re-ziptie several ties that nefarious chinnies have chewed off. Fortunately I prepared for that possibility and ziptied those suckers like mad!

Anyway, I don't see any reason to battle over it, and I don't have any opinion whatsoever on what you personally or anyone else is doing, but I do think it's important for people just starting out to understand all pros and cons of all caging options.

I figured the comments about the C&C was directed toward me and that's fine .. I do know the difference between chins and guinea pigs I am not an idiot

the cage I am using for MY chins is perfectly safe and sturdy and it works for them and my family I am not suggesting anyone run right out to build a C&C cage but we used what we had on hand and it works well for us

I did not join this forum to get bashed for the way I am raising MY chins

yes I have only had my girls a couple of weeks but that does not mean they are any less loved or cared for than anyone else's chins or other pets

I did not join this forum to get bashed for the way I am raising MY chins
To be clear. I am not bashing you for what you choose to do with your pets. I don't care what you personally choose to do with animals you are responsible for, so I'm definitely not bashing you.

However, I have a problem with anyone recommending cages with bar spacing that is too wide and dangerous or unstable components like the easily chewed coroplast, zipties, and plastic connectors.

C&C cages, as traditionally intended, are just not suitable for chinchillas, especially not a blind chinchilla who is going to have some degree of difficulty with navigation. That's my point - therefore I will disagree with the recommendation to house a chinchilla in such a cage. I'd raise the same concerns if someone were recommending one of those rollin' the hay balls that can easily snap a leg (and has been the cause of two amputations at my vet's clinic within the past year and a half, alone) or a plastic water bottle for a chin. Certain things just aren't suitable for certain animals and while I don't care what any one person chooses to do for themselves and their pets, I will voice concern when someone is recommending to others to do those things for theirs without fully disclosing the dangers or difficulties.

Some chins may do fine in a cage like that since they may not chew the plastic coroplast (I may have misspelled that). The spacing of the cube panels isn't that bad. It's about the same as some of the cages that can be purchased at a petstores. For a guinea pig rescue it's a really good first try. I can see it working for a blind chin provided that the panels are attached snugly, the chin doesn't chew on somewhat thin plastic and the panels have small spacing. It would be a way of making a one level cage that could work for a chinchilla that is blind or has limited sight. Temporary use of a cage like this may be someone's only option.

I use plastic waterbottles, I have been for nearly 15 years. Different people have different ways of doing things. There are a lot of things I see people doing that I don't see as suitable that others think are just fine, especially when it comes to what pet owners do.

Some chins may do fine in a cage like that since they may not chew the plastic coroplast (I may have misspelled that). The spacing of the cube panels isn't that bad. It's about the same as some of the cages that can be purchased at a petstores. For a guinea pig rescue it's a really good first try. I can see it working for a blind chin provided that the panels are attached snugly, the chin doesn't chew on somewhat thin plastic and the panels have small spacing. It would be a way of making a one level cage that could work for a chinchilla that is blind or has limited sight. Temporary use of a cage like this may be someone's only option.
I've not ever seen a petstore cage with 1.55" bar spacing. There are many modifications to a C&C that can make it suitable for a chinchilla, especially temporarily. Doubling grids, wire instead of zipties, etc., but as they are traditionally intended, they're just not up to par. And I would have less of a problem with a cage like that advocated as a temporary fix instead of a permanent solution. But, some things can only be learned with time, which is fine.

And you spelled coroplast correctly, not bad for your first try ;)

I've seen some cages with some very interesting bar spacing...there were some that were being sold a few years back that most chins could slide right through. The panels that are being used on the temporary chin cage wouldn't allow for an adult chin to get through and the cage is pretty sturdy...it's fine.

Blind chins can be so different from others. They don't seem to bounce as much. If someone wanted to use that type of cage for a blind chin, I think they could just make the coroplast base/pan larger than the cage and then set the cage made of the cubes in the base just out of reach of the edges so that it can't be chewed. The panels could be clipped together with pen rings and a door could be fashioned very easily. Definitely the smaller spacing in the panels would need to be used. It definitely could be done with a little thought.

However, if the cube panels haven't already been purchased, it would be easier to fashion the cage out of the wire used to make cages. Not many people have a workshop full of wire like I do though... :)

I've made a few cages for blind chins...one level cages and cages that have shelves spaced in ways that make it easier for the chins to navigate the cage. They would be easier to maintain than the C&C cage for sure. There are a lot of different options for cages that would be suitable and work out very well. I could definitely design a C&C cage that would work....but it would end up being more expensive than one made out of more traditional materials.

like I have said several times I am NOT suggesting people rush out to build a C&C .. I have just simply stated that in my experience with cages and in my house this cage works perfectly fine for my girls .. they have NOT chewed on the zipties , they have not gotten hurt or stuck , they have not escaped , Juliet did chew the coro when we first got her but after she got used to the cage she stopped chewing

I firmly believe that people should do what is best for their pets and family and if using this type of cage works for them than there should not be a problem .. not everyone NEEDS to do things the same way just because I am using a C&C cage does not mean everyone has to .. just because you are using a different cage than mine does not mean I HAVE to run out and buy the same cage as you .. as long as the pets are safe and cared for who cares what type of cage is being used

not everyone NEEDS to do things the same way just because I am using a C&C cage does not mean everyone has to .. just because you are using a different cage than mine does not mean I HAVE to run out and buy the same cage as you ..
YOU are the only one harping on anyone "running right out and buying" any different type of cage. It's quite immature and getting really annoying at this point. What I have said is that traditional C&C cages are not suitable for chinchillas. As an administrator of the forum that promotes those cages and as someone who has worked closely with Teresa Murphy (C&C cages are her original idea) it is important to clarify that point. As Stackie said, there are quite a few instances of chins getting stuck, breaking a leg, etc. in them. I will say for the last time, I don't care what you personally are doing and I'm glad that the cage has worked for you for the time you've had it.

as long as the pets are safe and cared for who cares what type of cage is being used
And this is exactly my point. Chinchillas are not safe in these cages (again, as traditionally made). That you haven't had any incidents in the couple weeks you've had it is not an accurate gauge of long-term safety and there have been too many reports of injuries and death to simply overlook because you have made it work for a short time.

The reality is, you may never have an incident at all. But the possibility is too great to consider it "safe" and certainly too much to be promoting these cages as they are as a reasonable alternative to a sturdy, chin safe cage.

In fact, here's a thread started about the very topic years ago. It has long been known, at least on our end, that these cages, while awesome in many ways, are not suitable for all animals, chinchillas included. That's not to say there are no DIY options that would be or that a C&C modified in certain ways wouldn't be suitable. That is my point and I will say again, what you choose to do with your pets is your business. That doesn't mean it's ideal to be implying that others, who may not know the difference or potential for injuries, go with this style cage instead of a safer option.

I have a 4 level cage that my chin has lived in for many years before the cataracts set in. He navigates it like he can still see just fine (I know he can still see maybe shadows but that about it). I dare not move him because he already knows and can navigate this cage very well. I would agree a wide cage would be better than a tall cage with lots of ledges.

Latest posts

Back