Cage floor help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniAmazon

So, we're building a cage for Sprocket and have almost everything done...except for the bottom. The original design was going to be a mesh floor (with tiles) over a pan that would slide out through a door in the bottom front. However, now we can't decide if we should just have a mesh-less floor and use the pan as the bottom, or go with the original plan. The only mesh that we couple find at the local hardware stores, and have been using for the sides, is 1/2"x1/2" 19gauge hardware cloth.

The first screen shot shows the whole cage (without shelves showing and without mesh modeled, it makes the computer crash!)

The second shows just the bottom with the pan (we'd have to order a custom size if we went without mesh)

The third is a view of the cage w/out the front, to show how the sides fit in.

The last is a mock-up of the bottom with mesh (without the tiles and/or liner)

Attachments

• full_cage.jpg
    full_cage.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 24
  • bottom_with_pan.jpg
    bottom_with_pan.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 18
  • bottom_without_front.jpg
    bottom_without_front.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 16
  • full_cage_with_mesh.jpg
    full_cage_with_mesh.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 15
1/2" x 1/2" wire is definitely safe. I've had wire bottom cages before and I ended up getting rid of them because they were rough on my chin's feet. I think Sprocket might be more comfortable with a solid bottom cage. I personally use fleece, however I know several members are switching over tile bottom cages, and they love them.

I would personally not use the wire bottom. I feel like fleece is easier to clean in the sense that you just fold it up and take it out side to shake then wash. With the tile you have to wipe it clean all the time. I have both and perfer the fleece. Also if the tile is not cemented in poos and pee will get between them and make a bigger mess(from experience.) I some people love them but I find them more work than they are worth.

I have wire floors in over 100 cages here. It means that I don't have to clean up shavings off the floor and the chins stay out of any soiled shavings/bedding. As long as you have places for the chins to get up off the wire should they need to they're fine. Whether you have a solid or mesh floor you need to keep it as clean as possible - foot problems come from dirty, grimy surfaces.

Thanks for the input! I have two 12"x12" tiles that I am going to put over the mesh as resting points. I will probably make a fleece liner when I have access to a sewing machine. :)

Latest posts

Back