Cage Bumpers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellnpsych

Hey everyone :)

Just another future newbie chin owner researching away! I have learned so much from this forum and you are all amazing.

I am saving for the Critter/Ferret Nation Cage 162/142, they seem more or less the same unless I'm mistaken.

For the sake of keeping the chin mess in the cage as much as possible, I am debating with myself whether to buy the metal replacement pans, or make fleece bumpers on the side of the cage like you would for a baby. I thought the fleece bumpers would be an extra cute factor. No one seems to be doing this and I have to assume there is a reason.

On the other hand, I know metal is more durable than plastic (duh), even if I do cover it in terry cloth and fleece. But if the terry cloth and fleece is enough and the bumpers are cute....see why I am torn?

Before bringing the chin home I plan on having a five set rotation of fleeces for the cage. It's ambitious and will take a good deal of time. Either way the extra yards of fleece can go a long way, but I would love your input.

~yell

Will the metal pans make less noise than the plastic pans? Maybe enough fleece around the pans will prevent noise? I've seen a few noise complaints on here. Looks like some people remove the small pans on the FN anyway and put more ledges for their furry jumpers.

I think the fn and cn cages are quiet by nature compared to a martins cage or the like. No rings to jingle. I have a fn142 with the metal pans from bass and I have no problems with noise. But the chins fling the shaveings all over.

The difference in the ferret nation and the critter nation are the spaces between bars. Critternation bar space is smaller.

Good luck starting out on your chinadventure.

I made them for Handbag's cage and they work great. I don't have Bass pans. He likes them too to lounge on.

bumper.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't get the CN. You can sometimes find the FN cheaper but most of all on the CN the bars break so easily. I had 2 lava ledges in there (with only the one bracket) and it always broke the bars. I believe the bars themselves are actually thinner than the FN since I've never seen anyone have any issues about them breaking. I've got 3 smaller snapped bars and 2 of the thicker vertical bars snapped due to them jumping on and off the ledges.

Have fun with your bumpers!

Latest posts

Back