Cage bottom???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taywin

So my moms friend just gave me her old chin cage! :) Its one of these http://www.wayfair.com/Prevue-Hendryx-Feisty-Ferret-Home-31x20x55-485-L1314-K~PVP1026.html?refid=GX21919340460-PVP1026&device=c&gclid=CIP1u9rQ8bcCFYKd4AodqXEAxw

Its supposed to be set up with a wire bottom with a plastic pan you can pull out for easy cleaning. I've read that wire bottoms are no good and am a little afraid to use it. I currently have it set up so that the plastic pan is above the wire bottom and is acting as the base of the cage. I also don't feel to comfortable about this either because i don't want my chin to be eating plastic. Any ideas??? I havent yet moved her into her new cage and am in the process of building kd pine shelves. I usually use kd pine bedding for the bottom of her other cage. any ideas on what i should do?

Thanks in advance

The wire bottoms in the cages aren't the issue. The problem is the wire spacing is too large for chins to safely walk on without the possibility of having a foot get caught or fall through the wire. What is the wire spacing on this cage? I think I have seen this cage before, but I can't be sure. For a few customers I lined the wire shelves and bottom with 1/2"x1/2" wire to make it safe for chinchillas. If you keep a wire bottom on the cage, you can protect the pan from being chewed, so that may be an option.

Getting a pan made that can sit on top of the wire bottom, with high sides to keep in the shavings, would work well, and replacing any other shelves with wood like you're doing. Alternatively, as Susan said, you can also use the smaller grid chin safe wire to do the bottom (and any metal shelves you wanted to keep).

Sorry guys i actually linked the wrong one its this one. http://www.petco.com/product/113675/Prevue-Hendryx-Earthtone-Dusted-Rose-Rat-and-Chinchilla-Cage.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Small%20Animal-_-Prevue%20Hendryx-_-1384635&mr:trackingCode=40B794F6-DD28-E211-880E-001517384FBA&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=26560843555&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515441275#description-tab

It says the wire spacing is 3/8" idk if that means the bottom the sides or all of them?? I like the idea of the pan with high sides! I was also looking into the fleece option or possibly even tiles? Idk im still new to the chin world. I just want my chin to be happy and safe :)

Hi Taywin,
You PM'd me, but I'm going to answer in the thread since I think the information is generally useful to other visitors and forum goers :)
There are a few places that make custom pans, the most commonly mentioned one for the states is Bass Equipment: http://www.bassequipment.com/default.aspx
They makes all sorts of cage related things and can do custom pans. I'm sure there are others that can make custom pans as well, perhaps other forum members could mention them?
You also mentioned fleece and shavings. A lot of people use shavings, you're right, they are more 'traditional' in a sense. Go with kiln dried pine or aspen, whichever works better for you and your chin. If you go with fleece, you either make or get someone to make for you, a few liners for the pan and then you wash them regularly. Some chins are fleece chewers and will eat the liners, in which case you would need to switch to shavings. I personally use fleece because I like the look of it and I find shavings end up getting everywhere, whereas my fleece stays put. I also started with a double FN and rather than pay for metal pans to be made I opted to sew pillow-case style covers for the plastic pans the Ferret Nation comes with (along with adding in lots of wood ledges and whatnot).
I hope this helps and that you're not bothered by me replying in the general forum. I also PM'd you :)

I don't find the wire bottoms an issue, though personally I don't like wire ramps....my chins never used them and I was afraid of their toes getting caught...plus my chins generally prefer to jump rather than lumber up a ramp. Heh. I also prefer the Bass pans and kiln dried pine shelves in those types of cages.

i have the same exact cage. at the time i purchased the cage i didn't know it wasn't safe for chins to have wire flooring. i looked into fleece lining and it works great. all i did was put a doubled up layer of fleece down on the wire floor. i also kept the bottom plastic pan (which needs to be cleaned) as you can see in the picture.

IMG_7250.jpg

I actually bought a piece of the cover for a light in a drop ceiling (about $5 at Menards, Home Depot, Lowes). It is like a thin piece of plexiglass/vinyl. I was able to cut it (that is the hardest part--wear glasses!) to fit the bottom of the wire cage. It is light weight and really easy to clean.

Back