Cage advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherie18

Hey so since the post I already typed got deleted I'm gonna make this short, here are soem pics of her cage now & what it looks like with her other colors-I would like your opinion on what to do as far as shelving, there are two small shelves that are not covered in fleece-that she hardly uses, but when she does shes not on the wire...
I would like to know if you guys think I should go ahead & save to buy wood ledges to replace all my shelving or just cover everything in fleece??

I also need suggestions on what to use for toys, & hide away things...

Thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 53
  • HPIM2299.jpg
    HPIM2299.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 44
  • HPIM2300.jpg
    HPIM2300.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 40
  • HPIM2301.jpg
    HPIM2301.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 39
  • HPIM2303.jpg
    HPIM2303.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 40
The only thing I would suggest is rearrange some of the shelves you have and ditch the ramps. Chins are pretty agile.

I agree with the GorillaTJA. Woodrow had ramps and he never used them. My cage was similar to yours and they like it so much better with wood shelves. I got two 6ft planks of wood they cut for me and all the hardware at Home Depot for 37 dollars. Just make sure you have a drill, I didn't and it SUCKED making them trying to screw the bolts in myself.

Well the only reason I still have the ramps is because I don't have enough ledges for her to hope from one shelve to the next without falling, which she has done when the ramp wasn't there...so should I just buy small ledges?

Yeah, I don't see why not! All of mine except 1 are 6" long, some are 4" wide and some are 7" wide. Lava ledges are cheap and you can get them at the pet store. Also, perches, I have 5 for mine. Most vendors on here sell them for very reasonable prices, and they double as a chew toy! And I saw you want a fleece tube, I have two. They use one to sleep in and one to perch on. Pretty much if mine aren't sleeping, they're popcorning around all their cage decor. It's very cute and they look like they're having so much fun!

Just looking at how you have your ledges arranged, it would not be difficult to put some on the back wall in place of the ramps.

Yea, I'm going with two corner shelves & one more perch, then I'm gonna cover the larger shelves in fleece to get rid of any wires-thanks guys!

I agree with the GorillaTJA. Woodrow had ramps and he never used them. My cage was similar to yours and they like it so much better with wood shelves. I got two 6ft planks of wood they cut for me and all the hardware at Home Depot for 37 dollars. Just make sure you have a drill, I didn't and it SUCKED making them trying to screw the bolts in myself.

Just as an FYI, Lowes will cut it for free. Some Lowes will charge a small amount for a bunch of small cuts, but even then it usually comes to under $10.00. I went to Home Depot once when the saw was out of order at Lowes, saw the cutting prices, and left without buying anything.

ok here is the new improved version, mind you I havn't ordered all the shelving I want but I will do that eventually!

Attachments

• HPIM2310.jpg
    HPIM2310.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM2311.jpg
    HPIM2311.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM2314.jpg
    HPIM2314.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM2315.jpg
    HPIM2315.jpg