bv under ebony class

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

I have a bv chin with a dirty belly can he be shown in the ebony class? If yes,
what are the disadvantages to show him in this class?

Others have done it. Some judges will not award it well due to the belly not being dark enough for the class.

Ebonies should be entered in the ebony class only if they have ebony in the pedigree and show it phenotypically (show ebony coloring in the belly). In my opinion putting them in an ebony class only because they have a dirty belly has no benefit.

TOV Ebonies are shown in the ebony class and are classified by the richness/deepness/darkness of the veiling across their back. If they are heavily veiled and dark across the back and lighter down the sides and belly then they very well could be classified and compete against Extra Darks. If they are lighter across the back they may be classified as MD and compete against medium phased ebonies.

If it has not ebony in the lines then I wouldn't show it in the ebony class cause that would be misrepresenting what you have. If it does then go ahead. I have seen several tov ebs shown and have done well. They judges usually comment on the tov.

As I know there are no ebonies in his pedigree. The mom is my breeding all Shoots line and father is Dark Star.

He is pretty well veiled as a bv but just has a grey belly. I'm not to happy that he has a dirty belly especially I don't know where it came from.

TOV Ebs can be shown under the ebony class.

I believe repeatedly breeding extra dark to extra dark heavily veiled animals can result in an accumulation of "veiling genes" which can cause veiling to extend too far down the sides and into the belly, even if the parents themselves had white bellies.

Also to consider is the age of the chin. I have some lines that look like they have grey bellies as youngsters but whiten as the adult fur comes in...

Also to consider is the age of the chin. I have some lines that look like they have grey bellies as youngsters but whiten as the adult fur comes in...

Juanita, I was about to say the same thing, as I read threw that is what I was thinking. The same goes with a poor veiling over top, some get darker with age.

I once observed at a show where a couple of dirty bellied standards were shown. The judge (I believe it was Woods) commented that being shown in the ebony class would not have helped their placement on the show table any and may have hurt them more.

So, take that for whatever you will. I personally wouldn't show the animal now but might give him a bit of time to grow out and see if it lightens up.

TOV Ebs can be shown under the ebony class.

I believe repeatedly breeding extra dark to extra dark heavily veiled animals can result in an accumulation of "veiling genes" which can cause veiling to extend too far down the sides and into the belly, even if the parents themselves had white bellies.

This is nice to know.

He was born 12/12/12. I always noticed when he was a baby his belly being dirty compared to his standard brother. I showed him at the CA April spring show 2013.

I had a chin that was shown twice at the same show due to a classification error. She was a standard with a dirty belly, almost dirty enough to look eb, but not quite there. In the standard class, she was dinged for a dirty belly, in the eb class she was dinged for too light a belly.

The show was good as far as hearing judge comments on her, and I felt that was valuable, but a dirty bellied animal doesn't quite fit into a class.

I've shown numerous a chin with dirty bellies, some more wrapped than others, all from ebony lines though. If the belly is only dirty or muddy and not fully wrapped, they don't do well in the ebony classification. They get knocked for not being completely wrapped....can't win either way!

Cheryl

Back