buying new cage...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

chinchuckles
So I have been trying to find an affordable cage but have not had any luck on craigslist etc and my kit (9 weeks) really needs to be separated soon from his momma. I'm just going to buy a cage online I decided..I've looked and looked and the cheapest nice cages seem to be about $150 with shipping. I happen to have $100gift card for petco and so looking on their website, I found this:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1367790&pd=recentlyviewedproduct

Is this the same as the FN most people have? I currently have one male chin who has to live alone, 2 female chins, and the baby boy kit who I hope to find a cagemate for eventually. Any recommendations for how to best divide them? The cage I have for them is one of those petsmart 3 story cages that I had to buy wooden shelves for...I'd prefer not to have to use that cage anymore because of the plastic bottom. My backup cage is a huge one-level rabbit cage that my first chinchilla came in, which my chin kit will have to go in soon if I don't get another one! I hope not to have to do too many cage switches so thanks for the help everyone.

I asked the same question when debating on spending the money on Ferret Nations. The cage you posted in the first link, I was told is a nice cage but not as sturdy as the actual FN. I'm not sure if you can split it in the middle either. I went with the actual FN 142's and love them. They are very heavy and sturdy and will last years! I like that I can split them, so it's like having 2 cages.
Check with the store you got your gift card from and see if they price match. I know Petsmart does, and a lot of people here find the Fn 142 on Amazon really cheap, then have Petsmart price match it. I kept an eye out a couple months ago and got my FN for $149. I paid $230 for my first one at Petsmart before I knew they price matched!

Unless you have other pets, I can't imagine spending 100.00 at Petco on anything other than a new cage!

Okay thanks guys, I think I'll save for an FN/keep looking and get a petsmart cage in the meantime. I suppose it's better to have too many cages than not enough, and the only other thing I could buy there is aspen bedding really.

I have the folding ferret mansion one, the second link. It is roomy. The doors are a bit small. The bottom pan is plastic but under a grid with large spaces, so bedding does get kicked out. Mine came with chins I found on craigslist so is used when I got it. In a year, two wheels have fallen off and the paint is chipping off-it might be powder coating because it doesn't come off easily. Not a bad cage overall, but I will be buying a ferret nation hopefully soon with bass pans to replace it.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money for a temporary cage until you can get a new one, check out Martin's Cages. The doors are a bit small, but if you email them, they can modify them for you to make the doors larger, and will drop the price if you don't get the shelves/ramps a bit, so you can make your own wooden shelves. They are fairly nice cages if you don't mind the metal look, and not that expensive. They also ship pretty quickly.

Thanks for the replies. I am getting a FN today as well as a new chin! I'll post this somewhere else most likely, but can I quarantine the new chin in one half of the FN (have my kit in the other half until I start introductions). Or should I put the new chin in his own cage and separate Mom and Kit in the FN? I just feel bad doing so many cage switches, I'd prefer to leave Mom where she is and only move the kit. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I am getting a FN today as well as a new chin! I'll post this somewhere else most likely, but can I quarantine the new chin in one half of the FN (have my kit in the other half until I start introductions). Or should I put the new chin in his own cage and separate Mom and Kit in the FN? I just feel bad doing so many cage switches, I'd prefer to leave Mom where she is and only move the kit. Thanks!

The new chin needs to be in a separate cage in an entirely different room from your current chins for 30 days.

Latest posts

Back