Burrowing/Tunneling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin8710

My chin has gotten into the habit recently of tunneling under her fleece liner. I don't have my liners pinned down at because they never bothered with them before. Now my one chin, Koda, is burrowing/tunneling under her liner and sometimes she'll just sit there and sleep and sometimes she'll fun around underneath it. The temperature of the room I keep them in is around 65 degrees (not sure if that has anything to do with it or not). Is this behavior common? Just curious.

they are diggers and burrowers lol! I have a couple boys who love to either go under their fleece or turn a corner up of their fleece to lay on just the pay beneath it! I also have two girls who are diggers! They cannot have shavings or fleece in their cage because they make an atrocious mess of it. I currently have some tile and marble slabs down for them because they can't move those!

It is adorable when she does it. It makes cute pictures! I just thought it was odd because 2 1/2 years old and she's never done it.

Stackie - I will check out those items you mentioned. I've been wanting to "redecorate" their homes I guess this is the perfect excuse :)

Yeah, Bess will pull up her liner and sleep under it. I let her go because it makes her happy and it doesn't really mess up anything. Personally, I think it's cute!

My Chula LOVES his liner blankey. He uses it as a tent/blanket to sleep more often than he sleeps anywhere else.

I just thought it was odd because 2 1/2 years old and she's never done it.

My girls are continually finding new ways of amusing themselves. Lily just recently started trying to dismantle her fleece tube where it folds over. Now that she's learned how to do it she just won't leave it alone no matter how many times I put it back. She also recently started pulling her liner up and stuffing most of it into her hidey house. I wish I could just rewind the last few months and find a way to prevent her from learning these things. :hair:

She also recently started pulling her liner up and stuffing most of it into her hidey house

Chimney does the same thing, plus pulling it back out through the hole in the hidey house!

My girls are continually finding new ways of amusing themselves. Lily just recently started trying to dismantle her fleece tube where it folds over. Now that she's learned how to do it she just won't leave it alone no matter how many times I put it back. She also recently started pulling her liner up and stuffing most of it into her hidey house. I wish I could just rewind the last few months and find a way to prevent her from learning these things. :hair:

My girl adaira does the same thing! I though that she wanted to chew the fleece and the tube underneath the fleece, but here she just likes being under the fleece. So I think when I make her liners, I will make a packet so she can snuggle under there too.

My one chin, Rigel, as a kit found a way to pull away the cover on the fleece tube, and get between the cover and the tube. He gave me several heart attacks because I couldn't find him in his quarantine cage! Then you'd look at the inside of the fleece tube and there was a big lump under the cover. ;P My new boy has fun digging up his liners when he redecorates, I've just recently bought more tiles to pin the liners down ;)

Back