Broken Hearted Chinchilla and owners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, first time poster here

About five years ago I rehomed my first pair of chinchillas. A lovely little boy, Loren and a grumpy albino curtis. Shortly after, Loren began to have fits and we had to put him down... Clearly curtis was distressed and went looking for him.

For the next 3 years, the amazing Spirit was his friend. I thought forever friend but pneumonia came and despite the agonising around the clock care he recieved (I spent a lot of time finding the right vet and correct literature on chinchillas) he died.

About nine months ago we adopted a little angel into our lives. Harley. A baby standard grey... He had an abcess about a month ago.. it spread into his teeth and jaw... I have been at his cage every second coaxing him with food and praying for him to get better.. bathing his wound.. spending hundreds on the only exotic vet in this part of the UK with chin knowledge.. They just called to say they had to put him down...

We are so heart broken. I don't know what to do this is such bad luck.. Curtis is 6.. Never had a sniffle is his life... what do we do? please help us... I don't know what to do.. All three of his friends were people chinchillas but Curtis does not like to be touched, I think because of his limited sight as an albino... He is a chinchilla chinchilla...

Maybe you can try giving him a cuddle buddy to see if that comforts him at all? If you know how to sew, any sort of fleece stuffed animal would do. Just make sure you the stuffing is fleece scraps, and not the stuffing that is used for real stuffed animals. If not, you can buy one. I know this store on etsy sells them.

If you do make your own, I don't think it needs to be chinchilla shaped. Someone on here made one in the shape of a whale.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you've been having with chins. :(

So sorry to hear about everything you and Curtis have been through.
A cuddle buddy might indeed help, since you're in the UK you could always get one from here:
http://www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk/index.htm
if you didn't want to try making one yourself.

I guess just some extra tlc (which I'm sure you've been giving him anyway), maybe some new toys would help provide a distraction.

Just by the way, he's unlikely to be albino, he's probably a pink white (they're not actually true albino despite the similar colouring). So, while I've seen speculation about the vision of chins with lighter coloured eyes, you probably don't need to worry overly about that. Not wanting to be touched is pretty common for chins generally, it may just be his nature.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Generally speaking, chins are healthy animals so I would have to say in my experience you really have had a bad run of luck.

The pneumonia and abscess were things that could happen to any chin and are very hard to treat and have a chin recover from, so don't beat yourself up if you gave it your best shot with vet care. Curtis is lucky he escaped the pneumonia as it is contagious. Do you have other animals in the house or was anyone in the house sick at the time?

For "fits" as you describe them - seizures? That may have been genetic.

Where are you getting your chins from? Rescues? Pet stores? Breeder? If you are getting them from a pet store you might want to rethink and select a reputable breeder or rescue organization. It won't eliminate the possibility of disease or illness, like I said pneumonia or abscesses can happen to any chin, but you might benefit from purchasing from someone who knows the background of a chin like a breeder.

Also, what are your housing/feeding/care conditions like? Perhaps there's something there we could help you improve that might make a difference...like do you have a fan pointed at the cages? That could have contributed to the pneumonia...What kind of feed do you have them on?

As stated you could always get a cuddle buddy for him if you aren't ready or willing to bring in another chin.

And yes, there isn't a such thing as a true albino - Curtis is probably a pink white if he has reddish colored eyes and white fur. Just means he is a white x beige cross - not uncommon and his sight shouldn't be impacted from his coloration. :)

Hi VolunteerChin22

I'd like to think that we take very good care of them. The chinchillas live in a Rosewood Options Aurora 450 cage which is huge and I believe to be one of the best cages you can get. They eat supreme science selective which is the best you can buy here. They have access to lots of hay and i change water regularly. I give them dandelions and treats include raisins and dried banana.. one or two a day, maximum. They sand bath twice a week and have a large cage. The cage has a hammock, shelves and lots of willow to chew as well as a pumice stone for teeth. I do not put any kind of wood shavings in the cage and they have an old t-shirt or similar that I change every few days and they sleep in it. They have a large puppy run and I try to get them out nightly. I have many books and do internet research and have an excellent vet.. I will get another chinchilla.. I have become quite an expert in the introduction process... sadly. I do not believe chinchillas should like alone. Curtis loves to cuddle and clean a mate. As far as I am aware I am taking good care of my chins but I have 5 years experience and I know there are people on here that have many more years! Any advice greatly taken!

I would cut back on the raisins and banana...sugary treats aren't good for them especially on a regular basis. Plain shredded wheat is a much better treat. Sorry for your losses

As someone who has dealt with the loss of one of a bonded pair, I would like to encourage you to mourn along with your baby. Call me a nut if you must, but I actually think that they understand us. I believe that if you tell him exactly what happened to his buddy and that he will never be coming back, he WILL understand.

I know that I anthropomorphize my chinchillas, but I swear that Mr. Whiskers understood when I explained to him why Baby was gone. He died in my arms, so I was able to let Mr. Whiskers see and smell him before I left for the vet, so he knew that he was gone and was never coming back. It took a few weeks before either of us did more than just mope around being sad with each other.

Eventually, I got another young male, so that Mr. Whiskers would be "The Big Brother" and after quarantine, I was able to successfully introduce them and get them to bond. They are currently living happily ever after and are snuggling with each other even as I type this.

I'm so sorry for your losses and I hope that you will be able to get him a new bonded buddy.

Hi VolunteerChin22

I'd like to think that we take very good care of them. The chinchillas live in a Rosewood Options Aurora 450 cage which is huge and I believe to be one of the best cages you can get. They eat supreme science selective which is the best you can buy here. They have access to lots of hay and i change water regularly. I give them dandelions and treats include raisins and dried banana.. one or two a day, maximum. They sand bath twice a week and have a large cage. The cage has a hammock, shelves and lots of willow to chew as well as a pumice stone for teeth. I do not put any kind of wood shavings in the cage and they have an old t-shirt or similar that I change every few days and they sleep in it. They have a large puppy run and I try to get them out nightly. I have many books and do internet research and have an excellent vet.. I will get another chinchilla.. I have become quite an expert in the introduction process... sadly. I do not believe chinchillas should like alone. Curtis loves to cuddle and clean a mate. As far as I am aware I am taking good care of my chins but I have 5 years experience and I know there are people on here that have many more years! Any advice greatly taken!

Hi there. Can you feed them Oxbow, or Mazuri or Tradition? Those are some top pellet brands that are most recommended. You don't want any foods that contain fruits and veggies. Chinnies should not have any fruits and veggies, so no raisins or dried bananas. Too much sugar for Chinnies to digest. There shouldn't be any cloth available unless it is fleece. To maintain proper teeth length, wood chews, like apple sticks, are not only a good choice, but loved by chinnies. If you can make a wood box hut, or a fleece covered tunnel, they love to sleep in them.

I have just a single female. She was separated from a group of chins who she didn't get along with. She has always been fine on her own since the separation. I have a couple of cuddle buddies for her and I give her a lot of one on one time. She loves to groom my feet, especially my toes - which is so hard for me to tolerate because it tickles so much! I personally think chinnies are fine on their own as long as they get a lot of human companionship.

Hi there. Can you feed them Oxbow, or Mazuri or Tradition? Those are some top pellet brands that are most recommended. You don't want any foods that contain fruits and veggies. Chinnies should not have any fruits and veggies, so no raisins or dried bananas. Too much sugar for Chinnies to digest. There shouldn't be any cloth available unless it is fleece. To maintain proper teeth length, wood chews, like apple sticks, are not only a good choice, but loved by chinnies. If you can make a wood box hut, or a fleece covered tunnel, they love to sleep in them.

Oxbow is very expensive here in the UK and Mazuri is not available (afaik).

The Supreme Science Selective is an extruded pellet food and is one of the recommended foods used by pet owners with a small number of chinchillas (too expensive otherwise).

I would not have a problem with the chin(s) being fed Supreme. :yes:

Rachel, whereabouts in the UK are you based?

Last edited:
We are based in Leicester. I am putting the word around to any small animal rescues and looking at Gumtree/Preloved for any males needing homes. Yes, the science selective is very good stuff - they really enjoy it. It is twice the cost of the cheaper stuff but a £8 bag lasts me at least a month so.. No cost at all. Nothing too good for my boys.. I miss Harley so much.. 9 months old and so affectionate. Curtis was crying last night.... I kept having to get up and talk to him...

Yes, please cold turkey stop the raisins and bananas as I'd hate to see bloat claim another one of your guys. Too much sugar in those despite being a natural form of it. Rather like feeding someone an entire sheet cake in one sitting for their systems.

The tshirt should go also - it has the potential to unravel and threads can and will cause an impaction in the gut and that is very dangerous and can cause death also. If it's a comfort thing, switch to fleece - it won't unravel and create threads like other fabrics.

Because he is morning and had a big change, as long as he is not eating the shirt i would put the new fleece with his shirt. Then after a week remove the shirt. That way the new object is familiar before he looses his comfort blanket. Hope you have better luck in the future.

Ps my girl has a super sweet tooth so i felt bad when i stopped her fruit, but she snaps up a wheatie just as fast. ^_^

Perhaps you could look at getting an older or mid aged chin from a rescue that is pretty "hardy"?

Good luck on your mission and sorry for your losses.

How about this,
Get a rabbit instead of a chinchilla? Yes, you could be taking a risk. But I would try it because you obviously pay attention to your chinchilla. What i would do is, get the rabbit as a baby or a younger age. Let them play together at first and slowly bond them together. Rabbits are a lot easier to take care of and have the same diet as a chinchilla, and they do not require so much needs. But make sure you are their with them at all times when they are playing. Try it? And let me know.

Do not get a rabbit instead! Chinchillas and rabbits should never be kept together in the same room and should not be allowed to play together. There are bacteria that a rabbit can carry that could be deadly to the chin. Also rabbits are much larger than chins and they kick when they get angry which could injure a chin.

How about this,
Get a rabbit instead of a chinchilla? Yes, you could be taking a risk. But I would try it because you obviously pay attention to your chinchilla. What i would do is, get the rabbit as a baby or a younger age. Let them play together at first and slowly bond them together. Rabbits are a lot easier to take care of and have the same diet as a chinchilla, and they do not require so much needs. But make sure you are their with them at all times when they are playing. Try it? And let me know.

Wow, as already stated, do not let chinchillas and rabbits play together. That would certainly be disastrous.

I only suggested the rabbit idea because I had previously researched and seems as if it works for everyone else.. I was just trying to help. Didnt know i would be looked as a bad person because I offered an idea. I did mention to keep and eye on them and to be present when they are together.

I'm not sure where you read rabbits and chins can play/be together but absolutely not. As stated, rabbits can be carriers of a highly contagious bacteria called pasteurella (and it can even be normal flora on some) and show absolutely no signs. While a rabbit's immune system can usually keep pasteurella in check and keep it from reaching levels of infection, chinchillas can easily become infected. Even rabbits can get infected by an overgrowth of pasteruella and it is a very common cause of illness in stressed and immuno-compromised rabbits. Infection can cause a deadly respiratory infection, and can also cause other infections and abscesses if introduced to an open wound. If you take a look around the forums at threads about chins dealing with URI's, you will see the outcome is usually not good.

Simple contact between a chin and rabbit is enough to spread the bacteria. Transmission is through contact with nasal secretions, including that of respiratory droplets spread through the air through a simple sneeze. It can also spread through wounds, sharing bowls/water bottles, toys, and even by you. By holding a rabbit that is a carrier of pasteruella and then going to interact with the chin, you can spread the bacteria.

All that, along with very powerful back legs that could easily injure/kill a chin with a single kick, is why they should NEVER be allowed to interact.

Last edited:
Agreed with those above. Also, rabbits and chins do not eat the same diet. You could cause serious digestive issues if you fed a chinchilla fresh veggies.

Back