breeding ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTree

I have two bonded males caged together, one has a pedigree. My sister wants to breed her pedigree female with my pedigree male. How would I do that without causing friction between my males? She wants to have one litter, if I don't let her use my male she'll use a nonpedigree male she has in another cage, so at least this way it's two pedigrees being bred. There's no talking her out of it, I tried.

You can't guarantee you won't cause friction. There is a good chance you won't get your males back together again after she breeds them. You might, some people have good luck with it, but there are lots of males you just can't do that with.

So, buy a second cage, because most likely you'll need it.

First of all, just because a chin has a pedigree, does not make it breeding quality. Have you had your chins evaluated by a judge or someone who knows what to look for?

Secondly, yes, it most likely will cause friction between your males, and you may never get them together again. I have seen it happen numerous times. I would not help her, even though it means her breeding a non pedigreed chin. It is not like you can just throw the 2 animals together. For it to be safe at all, you need a month long quarantine, and then most likely a while to introduce them. Some chins take years to get pregnant, so it is really not a quick and easy thing. I suggest having her do more research. Maybe have her join the forum?

It sounds as if your sister is choosing to make a very irresponsible decision. If she is going to breed chins regardless of their quality, it sounds like she is thinking about what SHE wants, and not what's best for the animals. If it were me, I would not involve myself in that. If she chooses to make bad decisions despite your best efforts to educate her, then that is on her. I would not allow her to guilt you into using your own chinchilla to breed, to try to lessen the impact of her carelessness.

If you love Scamp, don't let her breed him. She's breeding just to breed anyway, it's not worth possible injury to Scamp from a breeding fight and/or not being able to be reintroduced to Andy.

And look at recent pictures of poor Mako- and you will see what can happen when adult chins fight. Not worth it at all.

I just had a male get beat up two days ago by his mate. This pair was in a pair cage and not a breeding run so when the female turned on him, he was unable to escape. The right side of his mouth got torn up, he is bald and has bite wounds all over his back, and the dorsal side of his tail was all bloody and no longer has hair. I had to clean and disinfect his wounds, am applying Blu-kote, and am now having to handfeed him Critical Care multiple times a day because he will not eat from the pain. He is also on antibiotics to prevent infection in the wound, propulsid to keep his gut moving, and metacam for the pain; and I am having to give these medications twice a day in addition to the handfeeding. It is not fun... but it is responsibility you have to take when you choose to breed because these things can happen.

Latest posts

Back