Breeding questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliethechin

whats a good age to breed chins?
Does their behavior change after they have kits?
I have a hanging cloth bed for her, would i take that out?

Most people wait a year to breed their chins. Gives them time to finish growing.

Some females can get very possive when they have kits. They may or may not go back to "normal" when the kits are weaned. Some don't change their personalties at all.

I do not like hammocks/etc in my breeding cages. Too many accidents can happen, so I'd personally take it out until the babies are a bit older.

There is much, much more to breeding then these three questions though :) This is the easy part of breeding.

whats a good age to breed chins?
Does their behavior change after they have kits?
I have a hanging cloth bed for her, would i take that out?

We like our girls to be atleast 10 months old and of good size and the pelvic opening big enough to pass kits safely. Our males we like them to be the same age (atleast 10months). We generally show our animals before putting them in, but it's not always possible so evaluating your male and female and seeing if they compliment one another is a good idea.

I wouldn't say their behavior changes. Some females can get a little testy when they have kits in the nest.

We do not personally leave things in the cage (except for a can or pvc pipe for the babies to get into).

I do not recommend breeding a chinchilla until they are one year old. More important than age though is whether the female is big enough to safely deliver kits. I do not breed any female that is smaller than 600 grams, and prefer them to be 700 grams or more. You also need to check "the rule of thumb". If you feel just below your chinchillas anus, you will feel a ring of bone, the hole inside this ring should be at least as big as your thumb. If it's smaller than that, the female may not be able to safely push kits out.

Some females change personality during their pregnancy, some don't. It just depends on the animal.

It sounds like you are fairly new to chinchillas. Where did your chinchillas come from?
Do you have pedigrees for them?

Breeding is a HUGE decision and responsibility. Too many people jump into it before they know what they are getting into. Have you done research on genetics and what to look for in a quality cihnchilla? You do not want to breed inferior animals, as they can be prone to genetic diseases which can be passed on to their offspring. These illnesses, like malocclusion, are very painful and usually fatal.

You really need to put a lot of thought into your decision, and not just about whether or not you want to do it. Do you have the money for possible vet problems? I had a female who needed an emergency c-section. It cost me $1200, and she ended up not surviving after the fact, which brings me to the time aspect. If a female is unable or unwilling to nurse her kits, you will have to be able to handfeed them every two hours aroudn the clock for several weeks after their birth, and then every four hours for weeks after that. Do you have the time for this? Do you know how to hand feed a chinchilla kit? Do you know how to handle other possible complications, like breech birth, or if the kit gets stuck in the birth canal?

If you don't know the answers to any of these questions then you need to take some more time and research about breeding before you do it. It can be a lot of fun, but it can also be heartbreaking, stressful, and expensive.

I just statred researching and i know that i have a lot more to do. I just didnt see those questions any where so i thought i would ask. Where is there a good place to get all the info.?

You can start by looking at the breeding and babies section, read through that and the FAQ areas. If you still have some questions, post away! Your other good bet is to find a good -reputable- breeder, and pick their brain. Every breeder starting out needs a good mentor!

Another awesome way to learn about breeding, chins in general--and to figure out what quality is, is to attend shows. There is NO substutite to attending a show.

Where are you located? There may be some up coming shows you can attend...There are lots of things to consider before entering the world of breeding, so make sure that you do lots of research prior to putting your chins together. You may decide it's right for you or you may not, but in any case welcome to CnH.

Check the chin shows thread - I don't know much about the geography of Texas but there is a show in OK if it hasn't already passed...

Hi there.. I sent you a PM I am really close to you in Killeen Tx we are about 30 mins apart.. I would be more than happy to talk to you and you are more than welcome to come and see my herd anytime.. The show in OKC is this weekend and it is the closest one to us..

Latest posts

Back