breeding older females

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamlite

I was wondering what the oldest female that you put into breeding that produced kits was. I just got back a female I bred and had sold as a kit. She is now 5 years old and beautiful but I'm not sure if at that age will or won't breed. So how old was your females 1st litters?

Breeding older girls can be hit or miss, especially if they haven't been bred before. I have had decent luck getting some of the older non-breeder females started by putting them in colonies with a male that is good, fast breeder. The oldest once that I have gotten started so far was a non-breeder from Furball ranch and she was 7 when she had her first litter with me. She had been in breeding and was a female that Donna like, but never produced anything for her. For me she is now littering regularly and will be 11 in the spring.

I have put chins that are 7 or 8 in breeding many times, but most of the time they had been bred before. I put two eight year old girls in with a male just because I wanted him to have some companionship and, if they had babies, that would be fine...but I wasn't expecting anything. Around 120 days after they had gone in the same cage together both females had their litters on the exact same day...two babies each.

Most of the time older females will take awhile to conceive or they won't conceive at all. Sometimes they really surprise you!

Back