breeding collar will not stay on

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Pig

i have a female that i put in to breeding in may and this is the 3rd time she has taken her collar off. it is not a major issue as i only have one door open at a time so she can't go visit other girls just sit above them...

anyway, i have tried to open the rivits to make it fit through the hole in the collar tighter and it only took her a bit longer to get the collar off. i don't know what to do.....:hair:

any ideas or suggestions??

her feet have been getting bitten on by the other females below the run.

i have them both closed off from the run for now.

I use the plastic rivits, because my chinchillas can get the metal rivits out way too easy.

With girls that get their collars off (or males that like to take them off), I put two collars on them, with the flat "head" part of the rivets facing each other.

I second the two collar method. Also, taking it out on a rock or pavement and hitting the rivet with a hammer will make it very difficult to open.

I had a couple males that considered the plastic rivets candy and couldn't wait to eat them.

I have used the fasteners Tiffany shows above for many years and have show many people how to roll them with needle nose pliers to hold them in place.

I have used the fasteners Tiffany shows above for many years and have show many people how to roll them with needle nose pliers to hold them in place.

They work perfect! I haven't lost one yet since Joan Baldwin showed them to me. Couldn't believe how simple they were. I found 1000 of them for $10 and I don't think I'll ever go through them all because they hold up a lot better than the rivets.

thanks for all the ideas i will have to try them. i don't think the male is helping her because he never helped any of the other girls he has been with get free....

there could be a first for everything too, i suppose.

i think i will try the brass fasteners first.

I had a fluke thing happen with the fasteners recently. I've been using them since Randy showed me and didn't have anything weird happen until my FAVORITE violet got the head of the fastener caught on her lower teeth. She didn't get the collar over her mouth though, but proceeded to break off a tooth and I thought set them crooked, but so far, so good. They have straightened themselves out and I will continue to use these fasteners. They can be easily cut off if there is a problem. Not like when you flatten out the metal rivets which are darn near impossible to get off when you want them off.

Latest posts

Back