Breeding Collar Problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyandmychins

Hey everyone, I have a question. My chinchillas keep removing their breeding collars. Three of my five female breeders can remove their collars. I can't get them to stay on my chins. Do you have any suggestions or tips on how to keep the collars on them? Thank you. :)

What kind of rivet are you using? It is a common problem with the collars as the males can help "free" the females by chewing/popping the rivets. Some people use two collars on the chins.

Chances are you're not getting them on right, or the males are eating or popping the rivets. I don't like the plastic rivets for this reason. I don't care for the "new" button style either for that reason.

When putting a collar make sure the rivet head it towards the chins' head, and it should only be loose enough to put a small finger underneath it. Anything more is too much and they can get hurt with it, any less and it's too tight, they can get hurt with it, lol.

Sometimes the rivets are hard to pop completely into place. Especially if you are trying to get a collar on a chin that doesn't want to cooperate. You'll feel the "pop" when it is in the way it is supposed to be.

If you spread the tips of the rivet after putting it on with a small punch or screw driver it helps a bunch.

The easiest way to put a collar on a female is to put her on the floor and gently hold her tail with your knee ( don't put all of your weight on it, just enough so she can't run off, just like you were holding her ) this allows you to use both hands to work the collar.

Latest posts

Back