Breeding again after a c-section

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narcissus

This might do better in the debate section but I'll post it here and if it needs to be moved i'm ok with that. I'm curious to know breeders opinions on breeding a female after a c-section. Now, lets assume this female had littered several times before with no problems. would you breed the female again? If yes, how long would you give her before you put her back into breeding? If no,why wouldnt you put her back into breeding? If you would put her back into breeding, how would you make that decision? Is there certian things that would nature you decide either way?

It depends. Some chins are so messed up by the time they need c sections, they need to be spayed. Years ago, I had a female that had a c-section and I did breed her successfully afterward.

Now in my older age, I'm more cautious and a softee lol I may rethink this if it happened again.

I do know of others that have successfully bred chins after c-sections.

I have heard of chins breeding after c-sections without problem. Especially since it was not her first litter. I had a female who I had spayed during c-section because it turned out that her pelvis just could not facilitate a birth.

Depends on the reason for a c-section. I have put three chins back into breeding after a c-section. The first was many many years ago and I sold her before she bred again. The 2nd bred again but failed to progress again so she ended up being sectioned again and spayed at the same time. The 3rd female was sectioned on her 2nd litter and went into having her 3rd litter with no problems. I wait 12 weeks from surgery before putting her back in. She has to be back to her weight and is healthy before I put her in.

I don't think there is a minimum time frame for putting a female back into breeding after a c-section. You just wait until she is back to a healthy weight and healed from the surgery.

I've never had a c-section done on my chins, but if one went through it I am not sure I would breed her again. At that point, for me...unless the chinchilla has qualities that I just can't live without, they have done their time for me in breeding.

Every C-section I have had done has resulted in a spay because of complications with the delivery so I have not had to make the choice. If the situation did arise, no, I would not breed her again. I think the risk would be too high and it's not worth it, nor is it worth more gray hairs while I waited to see if everything turned out alright.

It also depends on how important the female is to your breeding program. Take in all the factors to see if you want to try again.

There's a reason for a chin needing a c-section (unlike humans who have them for elective reasons) so I would not take a further chance. It's a straight and simple answer from me: no.

There's a reason for a chin needing a c-section (unlike humans who have them for elective reasons) so I would not take a further chance. It's a straight and simple answer from me: no.

Very very few c-sections in humans are elective, we do take bigger precautions with human births tho. =P However, I agree I think I would retire the female unless maybe it was localized to one uterine horn (can they do partial spay or are the horns connected?) or it was a fluke reason that was not likely to repeat and she was my star female...

Very very few c-sections in humans are elective,

Respectfully I disagree - whilst it may be true for some countries, for example, in the UK we have NICE Guidance regarding elective C-sections. Amongst all the clinical indications, a woman in the UK can request an elective C-section if she so wishes.....
See 1.2.9 http://publications.nice.org.uk/caesarean-section-cg132/guidance
25% births in the UK are by c-section. Around 40% of those are elective.

US has a increasing elective rate.

Number of c-sections rising

According to WebMD, almost 28 percent of all births were via c-section in 2003. By 2006, according to USA Today, the rate had climbed to 31.1 percent, an increase of 50 percent from 1996. In 2009, according to a HealthGrades study, 34 percent of U.S. births were c-sections, according to MSNBC. According to Today, it is the most common surgery in the United States. However, the rate of elective c-sections, or c-sections that weren’t medically necessary, has been rising faster. According to WebMD, the rate of elective c-sections rose from 19.7 percent in 1994 to 28.3 percent in 2001, a 44 percent increase. There also seems to be an incentive for mothers who give birth via c-section to keep giving birth that way. According to CNN, a 2009 New England Journal of Medicine study found that 13,258 of 24,000 mothers who had previously had a c-section had elective c-sections in subsequent births. The same study, according to ABC, found that 36 percent of those c-sections were performed before 39 weeks of gestation.

I personally had three c-sections (not by choice) and I personally would not CHOOSE to have one... But to each their own, I guess.
Thank you for every ones opinions. It has been interesting to read.

Respectfully I disagree - whilst it may be true for some countries, for example, in the UK we have NICE Guidance regarding elective C-sections. Amongst all the clinical indications, a woman in the UK can request an elective C-section if she so wishes.....
See 1.2.9 http://publications.nice.org.uk/caesarean-section-cg132/guidance
25% births in the UK are by c-section. Around 40% of those are elective.
The oft reported high rate of elective C-sections involves bending of words. For example there is a study by Harris Interactive that surveyed 1600 post baby mothers, and they found that only 1 of the 252 women who had c-sections had elected and planed ahead for it, 2 of the woman had unnecessary planned c-sections at the request of their physicians. That is way lower than 40% of all c-sections. They have a link to the study's results with in their article and you can check their methodology ... http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10372 If you wish more evidence PM me and I'll look through my schools medical journals for you.

Also, the source you linked had 0 information on c-section rates, but was the guide used to teach practitioners about how to discuss c-sections with their patients. I realize each country is different but unless UK insurance pays for unnecessary c-sections I doubt that their rates are worse than Americans (as we are generally lazy and of poor health when compared to other countries). Insurance company's wont shell out for unnecessary surgery here and I know a c-section cost my sister almost 40k USD (that included some charges for 24 hrs of NICU), I doubt their are many woman that would want to skip labor, risk major surgery, and foot the bill.

Media often misunderstands or miss represents survey data. For example that 40% is more likely to be scheduled c-sections, c-sections can be planned ahead for many medical reasons including, previous c-section, placenta previa, and high risk pregnancy. "Elective" and "planned", are two separate things. Also, many unnecessary c-sections are being preformed (it is an issue) but its not at the mothers request, rather physicians are over prescribing them, including for low risk mothers.

Anyway, related to the main topic, c-section creates a high risk of uterine rupture if there is a second pregnancy, so you do have to weigh the health risks to mother chin and future babies with keeping her in breeding.

Anyway, related to the main topic, c-section creates a high risk of uterine rupture if there is a second pregnancy, so you do have to weigh the health risks to mother chin and future babies with keeping her in breeding.

I have to disagree with this and this is based on strictly experience and what I've seen in the veterinary field. I have not seen a uterine rupture on countless c-section dogs that are repeat offenders. To my knowledge there are no/or very few studies done. I have not heard of one and neither has hubby but if compared to humans the incidence of uterine rupture is very low. For a woman having a VBAC the rupture rate is roughly 0.5% where the rupture rate for an elective cesearan is 0.2 to 0.25%. However there are more associated risks with having surgery vs vbac. Rates jump up to 0.9 to 1.0% after 2 c-sections. I did alot of homework on this subject almost 3 years ago after undergoing 2 c-sections and not wanting a third. Dr.s will scare you into thinking you/or your baby are going to die if you vbac because of the apparent high rupture rate. Well can't say I died after having Livvy at home 2 years ago.

So no I don't think the rupture rate is high. That's just my opinion though.

I have to disagree with this and this is based on strictly experience and what I've seen in the veterinary field. I have not seen a uterine rupture on countless c-section dogs that are repeat offenders. To my knowledge there are no/or very few studies done. I have not heard of one and neither has hubby but if compared to humans the incidence of uterine rupture is very low. For a woman having a VBAC the rupture rate is roughly 0.5% where the rupture rate for an elective cesearan is 0.2 to 0.25%. However there are more associated risks with having surgery vs vbac. Rates jump up to 0.9 to 1.0% after 2 c-sections. I did alot of homework on this subject almost 3 years ago after undergoing 2 c-sections and not wanting a third. Dr.s will scare you into thinking you/or your baby are going to die if you vbac because of the apparent high rupture rate. Well can't say I died after having Livvy at home 2 years ago.

So no I don't think the rupture rate is high. That's just my opinion though.

I'd go with you based on your experience, I know the human rate is low (I did think it was closer to 10% but I didn't double check at all). But also human C-sections have really progressed over the years in the way the cut the muscle, I'm guessing they adapted the human knowledge towards animals?

Latest posts

Back