Bonding Odds

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amykhar

I've read a lot about getting two chins to bond lately. I've read the various methods and theories on how to make it happen. Frankly, what I've read concerns me. It seems like it's not likely to find a friend for Squirrel who could be a companion in his cage.

While I'm up for the care of more than one Chin, my primary reason for getting another one would be for Squirrel. I am not crazy about the idea of another cage, but am willing to have another one if it's necessary. (I understand the initial need for one for quarantine and until the two bond.) But, if the odds are slight that Squirrel will get along with another little guy, I would rather not go down this road. If the odds were more along the lines of 80% that they would get along and 20% that they wouldn't, I would risk it. Not so much if the odds are the other way around.

Those of you who have bonded non-siblings later in life, can you please comment on how frequently it works or fails?

Amy

No one can really accurately tell you what your odds are. Pairing success depend on the individual chins that you are attempting to pair, and the probability of chins accepting cage mates vary from chin to chin.

Also, while some get along, they may end up fighting down the road. It is just something very unpredictable and no one can tell you if you will or will not have success.

It's a risk you have to take when having a pair of chins. They could never get along, or could and have to be separated after a week, a month, or even years...or they could get along their whole lives.

In my own experience, I have one pair that has been together for a couple years, and one pair that has been together for a couple months. The rest of my chins are singles. I had 2 instances of chins attacking and killing their cage mates. I also had a trio that all had to be separated.

I've got nine, all pairs but one. She seems to want to chew every finger off the other chins I prensent to her. So it's completely different from stackie, so you see it all depends on the chin's personality as she said.

HOWEVER, all my pairs (but one) are male/female. Is it easier? Well I don't know.....
One of my pair is a pair of pet store chins, so the male is neuteured. But I wouldn't put an unneutered male/female pair together if they're not breeding chinchillas, don't get me wrong.
I also, and correct me if I'm wrong, think it's easier for two males than two females.
It also might be slightly easier with young chinchillas than older chins that have been 'single' all their life.

It's a guess you need to accept to take if you get a 2nd one.

I do fully understand that it's going to depend on the temperament of the animals. However, I think you guys are a good source of info on the temperament of the species in general. Especially those of you who have adopted/rescued chins from a variety of sources. My problem is that Squirrel has a very large cage. Emotionally, I would not want the new chin to have any less than Squirrel has. This means, another very large cage in the house. Furthermore, there's no way in heck I could return an animal if they don't get along. I bond too quickly with animals. I'm going to get one shot at making this work. I'm just trying to get a general idea of if bonding frequently works out for people, or typically doesn't work out for people.

Like I said, it is more on an individual basis...not the temperament of the species in general. I would say in general they are unpredictable - which is why it depends on the individual. What can seem like a loving chin could easily kill their cage mate- in one of my instances I went to bed to two cuddling chins that groomed each other all the time and woke up to a chin laying in the bottom of his cage covered in wounds from an attack that happened for no reason. I have also had an extremely docile friendly chin turn into an aggressive hateful chin when he sees another chin in his presence. You just can't predict how they are going to act.

I would say that if you would rather not have another large cage for a chin if they do not get along, then don't risk it.

I agree, it has nothing to do with the temperament of chins in general. It really varies from chin to chin. I started out with one chin, Chibi. I wanted to get her a friend so I got another girl, Mei. Well, turns out Chibi hated Mei. So I had to cage them separately. Eventually I got a third and a fourth, MuShu and Kona. Well, Kona hated MuShu but liked Mei. So Mei and Kona lived together just fine.

I eventually got a fifth and she got along fine with MuShu.

So in total I've had two pairs work out, and two pairings not work out when tried. For me it's been 50/50. And for my girls it's really been that dominant chins got along with submissive chins, but when I had two dominant ones, they hated each other. But of course there was and is no way to know if you have a dominant or submissive chin other than trying to pair them up with another chin.

And as you can see, it was more about a chin not getting along with a certain other chin versus that it wouldn't get along with any chins. Kind of like people, you like some people but not all people.

You will get a million different stories from chins that killed each other to chins that snuggle every day to pairs that are depressed one one dies, etc....

Unfortunately there is NO guarantee or even guesstimate. I would honestly say its 50/50.

I tried to introduce 2......didnt work out. I had 2 that were a pair, they fought & had to be separated. I have one pair that are currently together since they were little but they were thrown together in a "raid" on an exotics company so they were not together from birth. I have had them 6 months & they seem fine but who know what will happen.
I could get home & find one injured or worse.

I rescued a chin a month or so ago and since I havent been able to rehome him, I am going to attempt to pair him with another chin I rescued so that he can have a home. Hopefully it will be my first successful matching! If not.....back to a single chin and a search for a furever home for him!

You just need to know your chin and yourself. if you dont want 2 large cages than stick with a single chin. Also you havent posted much about your history with chins, so its hard to advise you. If you have had chins all your life and you know a lot about them then you have a better chance of caring for them & dealing with separation. If you just got into chins I would recommend, getting to know the species and dealing with Squirrel until you are ready.

Whatever you decide......Good Luck. I will let you know over the next month how my intro goes!!!

Last edited:
I agree, you never know how things are going to work out in the long run. If Squirrel seems content on his own and you don't want another large cage, then don't risk it.

I have a trio of males that didn't like each other at first. It took them a good deal of time to get along. Now they get along great!

I had a pair of females that cuddled every night, but the dominant one often put the other in her place, which was worrisome at times. When my boys are out having playtime the same dominate female acts like such a sweetheart, wanting to get out and play with the boys. You'd never expect her to harm another chin. So it is really hard to tell.

I can say I've had much better luck bonding male pairs then females pairs, though. I've only had 2 girls so it may have just been the chins, but in my experience the males have been a lot more easy-going then the females.

Latest posts

Back